My New Website

Perhaps this is the worlds first spambot with AI? It needs time to learn the language :D

Squiddy said:
Perhaps this is the worlds first spambot with AI? It needs time to learn the language :D
nah it's google translate, I'd even hazard a guess to the country of origin for the original text... china :clap:

Hi Dean, I really like the "Video games are good for you" nice linking between the classic games. How long did it take to make that video.

Thank you for all the feedback. I really appreciate it.

To answer your question Jordan, I came up with the idea for "Video games are good for you" on Friday 18th February, 2011. I did the storyboard the same day.
I edited the video on Saturday 19th - Tuesday 22nd February. I then added the music and sound effects on Wednesday 23rd February.

Also if anyone is interested, I have recently updated my website with new pieces of work.

Thanks

:)

Love it Dan, I think from a visual point of view it does its job well. However, briefly looking at the code...even the first id looks very messy and contains redundant code and wondered your reasons behind them.

Code:
#page {

z-index: 1;

width: 940px;

min-height: 1120.675px;

margin-left: auto;

margin-right: auto;

padding: 42px 20px 20.325000000000045px;

You should/could use the following:

Code:
.page{

width: 940px;

margin: 42px auto;

padding: 0 20px;

}

OK, so why do I suggest the above?

First of all get rid of the ID (#) and change it to a class (.). This will immediately make the element reusable.

Secondly, you do not require z-index. Your not using any sort of positioning here (e.g. absolute positioning) so thats totally redundant and does not effect your layout in anyway. Get rid of it.

Min-Height...from what I could see this was doing absolutely nothing, Whats the reason for setting a set minimum height on what is in effect a page wrapper?

Lastly is your margin and padding's. To center the block all you need to add is margin: 0 auto;

You then use padding 42px top. All I see this doing is giving a margin between the top of the page block. So why not add that as a margin? Equalling margin: 42px auto; yes this will give margin top and bottom...but you have a big space at the bottom of the page ID anyway.

Then all thats left is your padding. Whats with the huge random long px value? Bring it down to just padding: 0 20px;

That should tidy that one up for you. You need to fire through your markup and css and see where you can tidy it.

For a portfolio your site ticks plenty of boxes. If your project list grows though you might want to think about categorising your work into groups for ease of navigation i.e. if someone wants to see your video work they won't have to go in and out of the other work you have to find it.

Spend the last 2 weeks redesigning and updating my website and online portfolio.

It now looks cleaner and has a lot more work.

Constructive criticism and feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks

http://www.deanlord.co.uk/

From a purely design standpoint, I think you need to use a different typeface for your navigation as you're already using that (or something similar looking) in your logo. The two don't seem to sit well enough for me.

Like someone above said, I'd try and make a "Related Work" section or something, so people can hop from one of your projects to another without any fuss. It'd put me off having to go back, then back in every time.

Back