My New Dell PC! 8GB Ram and 1TB Hardrive!

M

Mohammad

Hello Everyone!

Ordered this superb PC for £750, Used all my earnings from 2 months LOL still.. Can't wait to put Photoshop and other apps... Been using this Eee PC 904 all these months so I think it will be a massive difference!

Specs

Intel® Core™ 2 Quad-Core Q8300 Processor (2.5GHz, 4MB cache, 1333MHz FSB)
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium SP1 (64 BIT) - English
Dell ST2310 23" Full HD Widescreen Monitor - UK/Irish
8192MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [4x2048]
1TB (7200rpm) SATA Hard Drive
nVidia GeForce GT220 1024MB graphics card
Blu-Ray ROM Drive (read/write CD/DVD & read Blu-Ray Disc)
Dellâ„¢ USB Entry Keyboard - UK/Irish (QWERTY)
Dell 2 Button USB Scroll Optical Mouse - Black
Integrated Channel High Definition Audio

3D view of the monitor - CLICK HERE

Yeah your right but I heard macbooks are slow and I didnt want a laptop in the first place because of the performance compared to PC's and the price tag, so if I want to buy and laptop with an 8gb ram and 1tb hardisk it would cost me about £1300 nearly double the price and I think with laptops you can't actually do graphic designing that good like Desktop's (my personal opinioon)

and also I forgot about the software compatibility issues with the macbook

true true.

you should learn to build pc if you don't know already, would save you a lot of money and good for when you need to repair.

that pc would have been about £200-£300 less if you built it; and a fun project!

Mohammad said:
Yeah your right but I heard macbooks are slow and I didnt want a laptop in the first place because of the performance compared to PC's and the price tag, so if I want to buy and laptop with an 8gb ram and 1tb hardisk it would cost me about £1300 nearly double the price and I think with laptops you can't actually do graphic designing that good like Desktop's (my personal opinioon)
take it you haven't seen the recently released i7 based dell studio 15" (and soon to be released studio xps16), £700 gets you an i7 quad, 4GB ram, 320GB drive (yes its smaller but extra drives are cheap) etc and apart from the display size it will be as fast if not faster than your quad desktop.

Not saying I'd want to do a 3D render on a laptop as I'd be concerned over heat but for graphics its fine.

Another thing to consider is that taking your pc to a client might be a bit on the heavy side :)

Now I'm not saying what you have is a bad deal, its ok for the money (I'd be after a second harddrive but thats me) but to completely rule out a laptop when there are some at comparable prices which will match or better your desktop performance in graphic design is just naive. And besides a pc/mac is just a tool, graphic design isn't about the tools you use.

By the way I doubt you will even come close to using all of your 8GB of ram (ignoring the 32bit software can only use 2-4Gb anyways), I can still get by (just) on 4GB and I work on 3D CAD stuff.

Charles, I'd agree building your own is the best value but you do take on all the issues that can arise.

Yeah your right but I as I am only 13 I guess it would be quite hard with my knowledge with pc's

Mohammad said:
Yeah your right but I as I am only 13 I guess it would be quite hard with my knowledge with pc's

no way, it's easy.

slide the side panel off of your pc and have good a look at whats in there.
the only bit that is slightly taxing is connecting the jumpers from case to mobo and even that has instructions included when you get a new mobo.

it's suprisingly easy to build/repair pc's as everything is increasingly becoming plug/play with sata etc I was doing repairs etc when I was 12 on oldschool 386 machines.

It's all just fancy mechano anyhow. Doesn't take too long to figure out what goes where. I remember taking my crappy ol intel machine apart when I was 15, good times.... mainly because I'd broken it and I got shouted at so I had to find a way to fix it :D

Oh I havent heard about that i7 dell studio, will have a look..

Taking projects to clients wont be hard as I have an Eee PC as an Second resource..

Yeah I agree graphic design isnt about the tools, as I used this slow 1gig Eee PC for nearly 3 months and thats the main PC I used to design every single client work.

Mohammad said:
Oh I havent heard about that i7 dell studio, will have a look..

Taking projects to clients wont be hard as I have an Eee PC as an Second resource..

Yeah I agree graphic design isnt about the tools, as I used this slow 1gig Eee PC for nearly 3 months and thats the main PC I used to design every single client work.

so you're gonna carry a pc and monitor around or is the ee pc one of their notebooks?

charles said:
no way, it's easy.

the only bit that is slightly taxing is connecting the jumpers from case to mobo and even that has instructions included when you get a new mobo.

it's suprisingly easy to build/repair pc's as everything is increasingly becoming plug/play with sata etc I was doing repairs etc when I was 12 on oldschool 386 machines.

Oh Is it, I thought it's hard as It looks a mini city whats a mobo? motherboard?

With Assembled PC's you dont get the originality like you do with Factory Assembled Dell's

Mohammad said:
Oh Is it, I thought it's hard as It looks a mini city whats a mobo? motherboard?

With Assembled PC's you dont get the originality like you do with Factory Assembled Dell's

lol are you crazy.

That's exactly what you get, the option of choosing a nice case etc so it looks great and matching components.

the problem is that most of the geeks that build pc's have no idea about form and design therefore you end up with loads of gaming cases with dragons on the sides and pc's lit up like christmas trees.

but for someone creative who understands design you can definintely get an original finish!

(oh yeh mobo is motherboard)

but but I love the blue lights and perspex on my desktop pc :( (I'm not kidding :p) Sadly I couldn't use my "pretty" case as the 8800 wouldn't fit in it :D

charles said:
no way, it's easy.

charles said:
lol are you crazy.

That's exactly what you get, the option of choosing a nice case etc so it looks great and matching components.

the problem is that most of the geeks that build pc's have no idea about form and design therefore you end up with loads of gaming cases with dragons on the sides and pc's lit up like christmas trees.

but for someone creative who understands design you can definintely get an original finish!

(oh yeh mobo is motherboard)

But theres a high chance that you will get problems thats unlikely with factory assembled ones..

Yh the reason I hate assembled ones are because of the flashy lights and dragons they look very ugly..:cry:

not really, I've had no more/less problems between my self assembled machines and ones I've bought "pre-made", not including laptops.

Nothing wrong with buying pre-made if that's what you're more comfortable with though. At the end of the day it's your money :)

I'd have loved to have bought a macbook, but I just got myself a new dell laptop for half the price of a similarly specced macbook, and I'm delighted with it. Each to their own :)

Mohammad said:
But theres a high chance that you will get problems thats unlikely with factory assembled ones..

Yh the reason I hate assembled ones are because of the flashy lights and dragons they look very ugly..:cry:

Apart from a dodgy (batch) motherboard and a motherboard that wouldn't work with vista (no drivers and I started with xp) mine have been more stable and less prone to issues than the custom spec'd dual cpu rig I had made by a company using server grade workstation parts (ie high end, heavy duty and expensive) when I was at uni (I buy for about a 3 year renewal of hardware). Having said that if they had used a decent psu's then the motherboards might not have been fried on two separate occasions. :down:

I built mine in nice all black cases (SFF silverstone and midi lian li) :)

Mohammad said:

hmm i think it's less likely that i will have probs with my pc tbh as i am meticulous about building anti static etc.

also i would match the mobo/processor/ram better than a factory made one as it seems a lot of the time they use whatever they happen to have in stock or can get for the best price rather than a perfect match.

e.g 1333mhz fsb and 800mhz ram?

considering the amount of utilized ram (even in 64 bit) I would almost see going from the original 4gb of ddr3 1066mhz to 8gb of ddr2 800mhz as a downgrade (depending on timings of course)

Back