My New Dell PC! 8GB Ram and 1TB Hardrive!

Mohammad said:
Hello Everyone!

Ordered this superb PC for £750, Used all my earnings from 2 months LOL still.. ]

Balls to the PC (ccomplete waste of money if you ask me) -

I'm more impressed at the fact you've earned £750 in two months freelancing - thats good going for a 13 year old mate. Crikey thats - £4500 a year!!!

Thumbs up.

i'll echo the above statement :)

and a macbook isnt slow, but fair play for getting 1TB HD and 8GB RAM (although chances are you'll never use all of it.

in fact logic pro only uses 4GB and that's way higher end than photoshop.

also, what application compatibility issues are there mohammed? only three/four very good 3D/CAD programs (ask levi!), but except that, barely anything at all?

i'll always reply to strange misconceptions about apple products.

or about any products.

what am i saying.

tim said:
also, what application compatibility issues are there mohammed? only three/four very good 3D/CAD programs (ask levi!), but except that, barely anything at all?

Considering I've been running x64 vista since before sp1 so what roughly 2 years I will state quite happily that ALL of the latest release versions of the software available will work quite happily without any major issues (ignoring the usual poor coding on adobe's part).

The only things I have issue with now are Golive doesn't like vista aero and is prone to the occasional crash but its no longer an actively developed program and itunes is a bloody resource hog (Apple are rubbish coders on windows).

There are a limited amount of 64bit codecs (they cover everything but not as well as 32bit) but you can get along fine with 32bit ones unless you use vista media center, you need to install both anyways.

Wacom can't get their intuos 3 drivers to work properly without the user needing to manually disable a feature in windows system properties (way to go wacom) and often as not old hardware is just ignored or dropped for support (my scanner and my logitech nulooq for example)

90% of the software I have on my system is still 32bit meaning its running in virtual mode and limited to 2-4GB ram tops (as I mentioned) and any benefits for performance from going 64bit is lost - I wish the coders would get themselves in gear and write native 64bit apps!!!

ps. tim I assume the line regarding cad packages really linked with the 8gb line :)

I wish the coders would get themselves in gear and write native 64bit apps!!

me too. Dunno what I was posting last night either. I was drunk on tiredness.

Levi- are you only using 8GB ram with CAD packages?

I know 64-bit will increase all of that soon but I can't see that happening with Photoshop/illy for quite a while...?

I haven't even got 8GB ram (motherboards can only take 4GB), I'm still running AMD x2s and 4GB but I am now starting to hit my limit in terms of model size and rendering etc so when I do upgrade, it will most likely be a quad i7 (waiting for the updates and prices on 6 core intel/amd's) with 12GB of ram as I can get a nice rounded spec for about £1000-1200 for a base unit.

Levi said:
I haven't even got 8GB ram (motherboards can only take 4GB), I'm still running AMD x2s and 4GB but I am now starting to hit my limit in terms of model size and rendering etc so when I do upgrade, it will most likely be a quad i7 (waiting for the updates and prices on 6 core intel/amd's) with 12GB of ram as I can get a nice rounded spec for about £1000-1200 for a base unit.

will be a nice system!

amd quad i just bought is nice and fast but not as quick as an i7 even though it's 3.2ghz

well i7 (brand) is the fastest desktop cpu currently available (will be slightly faster when it gets its iirc lynnfield core) and on a comparison to your quad on the only benchmark that I care about (3ds max) its over 12 seconds faster when comparing a 2.66 c2q versus the base level i920, it gets faster from there. There is a difference in price though due to the more expensive motherboard etc.

However in my opinion you wouldn't notice any real difference in graphic design as I very rarely stress my dual cores in photoshop etc.

That was the answer I was looking for Levi, Thanks!

12 Seconds is quite a big difference! But it's quite pricey isnt it.. I doubt I will even use my quad that much, only photoshop, video editing programs, and I might start learning 3D Rendering after I get it..

Back