Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My mac crashed for the first time in 3 years!

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by Kevin, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

And I must say it was an exciting experience hehe :D
    Suddenly a semi-transparent dark-grey layer literally slid into my screen, from the top to the bottom, very smooth. I've had this Mac for three years now, and this is the first time something noteworthy happened.

So Mac isn't infallible, but you have to admit it's a sexy error :lol:
  2. Becky

Becky Member

lol my mac at college used to crash at least twice a day (the PC techs didn't know how to set up the network properly, so it wasn't really the poor lil Macs fault).

I wouldn't say it's a sexy crash, the creeping dred of the screen filling up with a dull grey is just annoying. But at least it doesn't scare the crap out of you like a BSOD :D
  3. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

Why does it return errors in more than one language? it knows it's users language yes?

More crashes than my laptop ;)
  4. tim

tim Senior Member

but more pretty and a nicer interface on his mac ;)
  5. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

sorry I prefer the lovely shade of blue used by microsoft, grey is a bit dull :p

I thought macs weren't supposed to crash, considering theres only about half a dozen (I know theres more tim) different hardware configurations you would think that Apple would be able to make an os that was 100% stable or if its an application use sandbox techniques to stop it from crashing the whole system.
  6. tim

tim Senior Member

bored of mac vs pc debates. they're stupid.

if you like a PC, great, that's your choice. if you like a Mac, great, that's your choice. but there is no value added if we just argue one over the other.

i know it's a joke but i get this 80% of the time at work, so you can hopefully understand my frustration :p
  7. Levi

tim it wasn't meant as an arguement, computers crash, its normal, macs are generally speaking less prone too. Its just to me considering the 'closed' hardware that apple uses I would have thought they would have developed some sort of technique (ie like sandboxing - google chrome does this with new tabs) so that if a piece of faulty code screws up it doesn't screw up the whole system.
  8. tim

tim Senior Member

nah i never said it was an arguement, i just really cant be arsed to talk about it!

we cant generally speak about macs or pcs because it totally depends on how you treat your computer and what **** it has on it.

i understand your know your stuff and i aint arguing, i just cba with it ! :)
  9. Levi

so did you try out any of the 'free' programs I listed (or get adobe working)
  10. tim

tim Senior Member

eventually my interweb connection decided it liked to download stuff and i got my 6.92GB of files.

all working now, although after it downloaded it turned about to be 3.8GB, which i really really really dont get. :p

all good tho. really quick on my mac!
  11. Levi

the last 3GB is probably the themes/templates for the encore/premiere/after effects if you have them.
  12. tim

tim Senior Member

i only have after effects...? would it still be 3GB?
  13. Levi

my 'support files' folder for after effects is nearly 3GB, not quite sure why as the templates are only 50megs so its probably AE files I would guess.

My Adobe folder is just shy of 14GB
  14. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

I have too many highres brushes, that is one monster of a file!
  15. Anon.

Anon. Senior Member

Sorry to bring this topic back from the dead but I just found out the name of this error is "Kernel Panic". What a cool name for an error! :D
  16. Kernel Panic sounds like an awesome name for a Cyberpunk band :lol:
  17. Anon.

Anon. Senior Member

haha, yeah, and they'd have their first album artwork sorted with a quick screen grab!
  18. I think the first album would be called "You need to restart!" LOL
  19. Anon.

Anon. Senior Member

:lol: with the OS start-up 'dummmmm' as an intro to the first song :p
  20. I think that album (if it existed) would be Timbo's fav album of all time! LOL