My logo, whaddaya think

louiseh

Please be gentle with me, here is my logo so far... any thoughts? It's sooooo hard doing own branding! I am starting my own small business having worked in GD in-house for small company. Working part-time as I have small kiddies, will prob target new businesses probably by other Mums but will eventually target everyone. Going to do re-branding and print, not venturing into web just yet but will soon. The idea is the circles are the dots on the i's but represent creative thought process, supposed to be eye catching and look approachable. Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• Picture 7.png
    Picture 7.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 34
Or is this better? I know it's completely different, toyed with this one for a while...
Cheers

Attachments

• Picture 5.png
    Picture 5.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 17
hmmm not sure about it to be honest, one thing for certain is the rings up top don't work like they are and to be honest I feel it would be stronger without them.

And why not spend a few mins introducing yourself here :)

edit: second one - try designing in black and white first and then think about cost of printing etc if needed, that just wouldn't work in my view

Just a couple more, the circles are back in one of them, think I would like some kind of element in my logo I can utilise other than typography, maybe I am overcomplicating it though? If these are pants will have a rethink. Thanks for any comments.

Attachments

• Picture 8.png
    Picture 8.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 58
there's a saying brought to the forum by a very wise angry bear (Berry) - K.I.S.S. which means keep it simple stupid.

the simplicity of the first one means you could change the accent colour depending on the area of design while still keeping your 'brand'. The circles just don't sit well together in my view and as I said should be dropped

Thanks for your opinion Levi, I know what you are saying. I have also had opinions from other designers and creative directors, some have gone for number 2 (bit dull?) all the friends and family and some account handlers have said rings are definitely best, one or two like the first. Should I start again or just pick one - any views? Thanks.

i like the first one, if there was a way you could make the 'design' secondary, keeping your name as the focus.

The circles i can see you are keen on, but it's the colours that don't do it for me. Try a few different combinations at the minute the Purple is too darke, the brown/orange is too de-saturated and dull, the same with the green.

So in review, try out a few different colours for the circles. keep the diablo font for your name and maybe small caps helvetica for 'design' at a reduced size and black centered under your name.

I too prefer the first one, the second with the rounded letters is reminding me of GHD's logo a bit too much atm, must be the three letter combination with the rounded shapes.

I like the first logo the most. I do agree with Levi about simplicity in logos but your first design I believe is simple enough. You have your text which is obviously your name and company and then the little coloured circles to brand your business!

But this is just my opinion...

Thanks so much for your thoughts, much appreciated. Will try some of those suggestions out. One of my friends has told me to do another one completely different so thought I would attach it, but I think may end up going back to the first ones again.

Attachments

• Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 21
Could have circles on stationary as separate entity like this. Will try other suggestions you have given too.

Attachments

• Picture 14.png
    Picture 14.png
    14.7 KB · Views: 27
Hi Louise, nice to see you working through the design process. I dont really like the LH with the fire effect colours you have just posted and I dont think it would print very well at a small scale or when black&white.

You seem very determined to use circles in your logo. I would be careful about being so loyal to one idea, you might be ignoring a whole range of other possibilities because of your determination to make this idea work. Also, if you have to force it and make the logo work with circles in there somewhere then your not really going to end up with a good final product.

Design is about problem solving and communication and your own branding shouldnt be any different. What message are you trying to give to potential clients? If you want something to represent the creative process then maybe look at alternatives to circles just to see if there is anything else out there that could work.

My advice would be to brainstorm, sketch out concepts and at this stage dont rule anything out. Then once you have explored a wide range of possible outcomes start the process of narrowing it down and then post some options for the forum to give critique on.

Firstly, you have my initials which is always a good start... so i'm liking it already lol.

On a costructive note tho, I feel the circles are a bit out of place in a few of the designs, I preferre the middle logo of the three without the circles tho the one with similar coloured circles is growing on me... Have you tried less circles? maybe tighten the gap between them.

Dont be too hard on yourself louise, it is a ridiculously hard thing to do! normally as designers we work to 'set briefs' so we have a clear aim and a project has a start,middle and end. when designing for yourself its so easy to subconsiously change the brief every 5 mins so you chop and change between ideas.

If you can manage to come up with a clear brief with a set of objectives that you want to achieve and then stick to it then you wont go far wrong.

Hi Louise,

I agree with Dave on this one. You need to have very clear ideas on what you want to say before you can develop something that speaks for you.

Logo design is a huge challenge that we all fail at. Persistence is the key, so just keep going.

I agree that branding yourself is a sticky challenge. Personally, I find it hard trying to nail down any key characteristics possessed by my work and translating that into a central theme for logo development.

Louise, I like the second logo in the selection of three which you posted - the text only version without the circles or vertical line. I think it's clean, concise and professional - and if that's what you're trying to say about yourself/your work then I think it does the job. I don't think that the circles really add anything and invade the space around the text.

If you're dead-set on circles how about placing the text within a larger circle? Or a rounded-rectangle speech bubble? i.e. everyone's talking about you/you're all about communication. Just an idea.

Back