My logo - leave your feedback please

Phraze

I know it is plain but i would like your evaluation on it and how to improve on it. Thanks

1537dk6.png

People read from left to right, descending vertically. Placing studio above Phraze is counter intuitive. It would be like putting the sub heading of a book above the main heading.

What kind of studio are you? I'm assuming as this is a design forum, that it's a logo for a graphic design studio of some description - what I would ask you is does this logo say "Creative Designer" to you? I could quite easily replicate this logo in MS Word and that doesn't take a whole lot of skill or creativity does it?

You need to sit down and sketch out some ideas. Learn to think laterally and to connect seemingly random concepts. It's not easy coming up with your own logo but trust me, once you've gone through the process you will be incredibly proud of your work and a better designer for it.

Thanks for the quick feedback Squiddy.

Well i am a novice graphics designer. I just got the word 'studio' because it portrays the image across to people that i am a graphics designer as Phraze does not say a lot.

I have sat down and thought for quite a while and still haven't come up with a good logo.

Have you got any suggestions as what i could do for my logo ?

Well, for starters, you realise that the term studio implies that there's a team of designers working together, so that's probably not the best term to use as part of your branding if it's not the case. If you're working as a freelancer you're probably better off using your name/initials in some way instead of coming up with a company name.

I'm a little worried that you are asking other people for ideas for your own logo. As a graphic designer you should have some form of process to utilise to come up with effective logos for specific requirements. Can I ask about your education regarding graphic design or what areas you've been learning about and if you're planning to become a freelance designer, what areas of business management have you studied?

Squiddy said:
People read from left to right, descending vertically.
I hate sweeping generalisations... it's most 'WESTERN' people that read from left to right, but there are some languages such as arabic (right to left) and traditional Japanese (downwards and then right to left) which do not. Chinese (although mandated to be left to right now) can go left to right one row and then right to left on the next...

the op doesn't say which market this is aimed at but obviously we assume it's a western market.

Levi said:
I hate sweeping generalisations... it's most 'WESTERN' people that read from left to right, but there are some languages such as arabic (right to left) and traditional Japanese (downwards and then right to left) which do not. Chinese (although mandated to be left to right now) can go left to right one row and then right to left on the next...

the op doesn't say which market this is aimed at but obviously we assume it's a western market.

Due to the fact that the entire logo uses English it's pretty obvious that it's going to be aimed at an English speaking/western market. Coupled with the fact he describes himself as a "Novice Graphic Designer" it's far from difficult to come to the conclusion that he's most likely, with a logo written in English, not going to be starting his freelancing career in a continent that has an entirely different method of reading and writing. It's just a case of putting two and two together.

Sorry, but it just seems like you're being argumentative, especially considering the fact that you acknowledge the assumption that he was designing it for a western market. He asked for feedback on his logo, anyway, not what market he should be trying to enter on his first time coming into the industry.

like I said obviously we ASSUME it's target is the western market... the op hasn't said either way, assumptions are no good in design, you should know that.

I have seen plenty of 'studio x' names too and you could argue going by your sweeping generalisation where EVERYONE reads top to bottom, right to left, the studio could come before the Phraze as it is above it, even if it is smaller. But again we ASSUME it's Phraze studio

Oh and Sony and Nikon are Japanese but their logo uses English text, same with 90% of multinational companies using text in their logo's.....

PS Phraze is already a registered brand for a translation firm

The point I was making was that we don't need the OP to clarify because it's pretty obvious through the powers of deduction what his market is most likely going to be, therefore it's a safe assumption to make.

If you take my comment in its proper context then no, I'm not making a sweeping generalisation. I'm quite aware of the reading styles of other nations, however, in the west we generally read from left to right, descending vertically.

PS His brand is Phraze Studio (or Studio Phraze depending on your assumption), not Phraze which is the trade mark holder you speak of.

More importantly it's only trademark infringement if the offending mark is in considered to be both identical in appearance and class. Where translation services fall within class 41 whereas Graphic Design would fall within 35 or 42 - so he could in fact register for a trademark which appears to be identical. It's not simply a case of two marks looking similar, therefore being in breach of the initial trade mark, there's more to it than that.

logos are really hard to judge in isolation.
A brand identity and a logo perform 2 different functions. As a 'logo' it is not very interse
ting or dynamic ( but then again neither is my company logo which is pure type to) It is when it is developed across the board with brand dynamics and brand messages that logo has any value, otherwise it's just a graphic

Squiddy said:
People read from left to right, descending vertically. Placing studio above Phraze is counter intuitive. It would be like putting the sub heading of a book above the main heading.
harley-logos.jpg

Theres millions of logos that break that rule. I was thinking of checking out Motor Harley Davidson Cycles... :p

Squiddy said:
Well, for starters, you realise that the term studio implies that there's a team of designers working together, so that's probably not the best term to use as part of your branding if it's not the case. If you're working as a freelancer you're probably better off using your name/initials in some way instead of coming up with a company name.

Theres nothing wrong with wanting to appear like more than an individual as you often wont be just an individual so having a company sounding name gives you that flexibility. E.g you might collaborate with others and have external suppliers such as printers or external web development. Lots of people do this...

Rich, that's a logo with two separate sections of text. Based on the design hierarchy it reads Harley-Davidson and then Motor Cycles which adheres to the rules of left to right or descending vertically - and in fact does not break the rule. If Cycles was at the top and Motor beneath then that would be the equivalent to this situation, assuming he intended Phraze Studio, of course.

What I actually said, which you've even quoted, was that he shouldn't use that if it's not the case. If he's not working within a team, or even one other designer, I don't believe it's appropriate to imply through any means of advertising or branding that you are a studio. There are often designers set up in such a way that they don't work with other people e.g. designers that are just starting out.

There is a difference between collaboration and working within a single team. You wouldn't start listing all your preferred printers services or the skill sets of the guy who coded your last web design on your website/advertising materials as a service you provide - because you don't work within a single team.

I work from home in my studio - its just me though. Should I change it to office or spare bedroom? I prefer to use studio though? I'm not saying I'm right and your wrong - I'm just trying to point out not everything is black and white as you seem to be making out (again, with the logo comments).

When you say change it, what are you referring to? I only ask because on your website there is no mention of studio and you refer to yourself as a freelance designer. Again, the OP asked for advice, perhaps next time I should just nod my head and say that everything looks great. Then if anyone says otherwise then just tell them that not everything is black and white?

I could be wrong but I associate a studio with a team of designers, when used in the context of graphic design because the term for a lone designer is freelancer - and that's why we have separate terms, to differentiate between the two. I wouldn't buy a car and then start promoting myself as a minibus service, or hire two other minibuses and describe my company as a multinational.

Ultimately it isn't a massive issue, and certainly doesn't warrant this level of scrutiny. I'm simply giving my reasons as to why I gave advice on areas I believe could be improved as, you know, that's the point of this thread, to give advice on the work provided.

Well I was taking myself as an example as I do work for a few clients in my home studio - its just me myself and I - its still a studio as to me a studio is an environment where things can be created. There might be different views on what a stuidio is, obviously you have your opinion on what a studio means to you - I have mine. Ok I don't call it a studio on my website or anything, but that wasn't the point I was trying to make. I know of a fair few design places that use the word studio in their marketing when in fact they are a one man band. It obviously works for them as they have been in business for years.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, just trying to give the original poster a balance of views. I'm not saying I am right and you are wrong as I think some of these points we are discussing are purely subjective - as per the tagline of this forum :p

Back