My identity...

Di3oxide

Hi guys:

I was curious on what you guys may think of my own logo identity. I was sort of going for something unique as this is a sort of logo I made for labelling my album art for the music I make on my youtube channel. I hope it's an ok logo to you guys(with the professional artistic eye). I used the colours that I found looked best. It was just a lot of trialling with the pantone and other categories. I found the red one most appealing to myself:

di3oxidelogo.jpg

Plus along with that guys may you also critique this logo as well(NOT MY DESIGN):

tumblrlto0t6car81qbg3j7.png

I quite like the first idea, though I'm not keen on the font you've used but it does suit I suppose.

Not really a fan of the photography one to be honest. The focus frame/viewfinder idea isn't very original and has been done to death. If it's for yourself, try adding a little personality into it.

OMG! Are you serious? WOOOHOOO! That second one wasn't actually mine. It was made by a professional designer, I just wanted to put it there as a test to compare myself. I know it's a bit silly but sometimes I just have to know these things. Note that I carefully DID NOT say that the photography logo was MY design ;)

I even have the website to prove where I got it from, but I wouldn't want to show it for moral reasons...

But of course, the first design is mine:D:D:D Thanks for the feedback.

I don't want to put a downer on things, but what's your logo supposed to be, or even say?

It's looks to me like some kind of industrial detergent. It reads as Diboxide, or is it just me?

That's quite absurd to confuse it with diboxide when you could just read my username. On the contrary, I want people to be a little confused.

Wardy, it's technically more of my identity then a logo. I can't tell you what the image and name is about, for that is up to you to interpret correctly. However, this will be the name I use as a Sound Producer, and the name of my portfolio site and Studio:D:D:D:D

davidw said:
I quite like your own logo - looks interesting - makes you wonder what it's about...

Thanks, making people wonder what it's about is what it's all about ;)!!

It does look interesting, if a little confusing, hear me out.

The logo itself, well I'm more inclined to agree with Wardy, I initially thought science when I saw it and this was reinforced by the "DIBOXIDE" text which sounds like a chemical to me. It may be slightly more obvious that it's actually Di3oxide as we can see your user name but unless you plan on only presenting the logo alongside a screen with your forum user name then it's a little bit of an odd thing to say really. Then.. you've got bright, happy colours which makes me think of children's toys, this conflicts with the serious style which comes with science, which leaves me a little confused.

I think that it's possible people might come away feeling confused rather than intrigued. It might help if you incorporate sound into the design either via text or graphic.

Di3oxide said:
That's quite absurd to confuse it with diboxide when you could just read my username.

A logo should work without text. I'm not sure why you'd want people to be confused by it though? Do you mean intrigued maybe?

more like wondering I guess... but here's the reason why confusion works in this case. Sort of like an Edgar Allan Poe short story... sometimes confusing the person can establish a witty piece of work, so it is a good thing in this case:

And perhaps you can also see it as a chemical... becuase it is even if it is read as 'Di3oxide'. The 3 is added as a pun and the name has a form of irony( which I won't elaborate on).

It is not exactly SCIENCE, but science fiction. In this sense, it does not have anything seriously scientific to it, or else it will contradict the sarcastic irony I've exhibited. The colour decision was ultimately based on the 'logo's' self contradictory nature.

Remember, I am not trying to use this as a business logo. It's a style that represents ego. Like these kinds of designs:

deadmau5logo.gif

skrillexlogosmans.jpg

The symbol as an identity is fine. It reminds me of the old Prince emblem (probably before you were born).

The namestyle, however, is a bit ambiguous and therefore does not quite work if you want people to remember it and pass on the name.

I know what you mean about the 'helpful contour' here, it does seem a little erratic at times. It's not everyone though and most people here are genuinely helpful and incredibly nice.

Is there any part of my critique that you want me to expand on or analyse a different part of your logo? How can I be more helpful?

Sorry if I wasn't very enthusiastic but it's comments like:

"On the contrary, I want people to be a little confused."

"... for that is up to you to interpret correctly."

It's hard to judge a logo without context and you seem to be putting in a lot of effort not to provide any. It is up to you to communicate this for a proper critique as your logo is seemingly inappropriate... Although if you provided some context - your services, where and how it will be used etc. - maybe it isn't.

It also does read as Diboxide. The colours also contradict the idents connotations.

Chris Lord said:
It also does read as Diboxide. The colours also contradict the idents connotations.
Reads as D13OXIDE TO ME....

As to the design....I better hold back as I'm starting to be called Mr Nasty :angel:

There's nothing wrong with explaining what you don't like, it's just nice to have a balance of good and bad - if there is any.

This whole thread seems to be everyone stating opinions and the author defending the design. It doesn't appear to me like the OP is considering changing it.

Di3oxide said:
oh well, so much for the helpful contour this forum exhibits...
Not to perpetuate anything here, but I feel like it needs to be said given this statement.
I see a lot of good help here, and a lot of points that would have someone actually looking for advice re-thinking some design choices, but you have chosen not to take the advice. Rather, you have come up with excuses to defend the design.
Not much anyone can help you with there, besides telling you "well done" and moving on.

Back