Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Google Chrome has Amnesia

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by Jimlad, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

A few months ago I started using Google Chrome. It was quick, nippy, uncluttered and worked more smoothly than Safari with gametrailers.com's (and consequentially, MTV's) video streams.

Yesterday, my Mac blacked out. Literally switched itself off spontaneously. No power cut or anything, just the Mac. I turned it back on again to discover that Chrome (which had been open on Facebook I think) would no-longer automatically log me into any websites, I have to sign in manually every time I use Chrome to visit the likes of Facebook or DesignForums. It's annoying, and I am now using Safari again. Which is fine, I guess.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled and the problem persists. Any thoughts?

2. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

Got to be honest and say a spontaneous power off is normally either a power cut or hardware related, it's very rarely software related and chrome's issues are likely just a side effect....

Is there any way to do a hardware check on the mac, I'm more of a windows man myself :p

3. tim

tim Senior Member

hardware check = hold d on boot.

4. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

Sure it's an inconvenience but Chrome will relearn it of course

5. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

Thanks I'll try the hardware check in the morning. Kevin you've missed my point, Chrome ISN'T re-learning. Yes it still saves my passwords but ticking boxes like "remember me" or "automatically log me in on this computer" are doing nothing. I have to manually sign in. Is this a cookie problem?

6. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

I can't say I'm that familiar with chrome, prefer firefox but does chrome use 'profiles' like firefox does? It could be you need to start a new profile as the old one is corrupted...

I'm still sticking with the check the hardware too though, the sudden off is more the issue in my eyes.

7. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

Interesting, holding D doesn't do anything. I've checked on the Apple Support website and I'm doing it correctly. I'll try the hardware check on the Installation Disc.

8. tim

tim Senior Member

you're not restarting and pressing D right? shutting off, hitting the power button on the mac and pressing and holding D immediately? :)

9. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

Yup. Managed to start the hardware check off the disc (using the same method as instructed) and guess what, no hardware issues found. I did the long check too. I'm putting the power-off down as a blip. Chrome remains consistently crap though. Guess I'll have to stick with Safari, Google's been no help ironically enough.

10. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

Try Mr.Firefox.

11. tim

tim Senior Member

safari's nice anyway.

12. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

Not a massive fan of Firefox really. I use it sometimes. Thanks for the suggestions anyway everyone.

13. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

Have you tried Explorer...it's LUSH!

14. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

Netscape Navigator's the future, my friend.