My design of a futuristic household robot

matthias

Hello Guys,

I'm looking to make concept art for an actual 3d cad design, that im gonna make with my private version of bricsys cad. But I'm kinda clueless on how the robot should look like, the casing of course. The inside is pretty simple, two motors which are connected to relays that also act like a plug, so you can exchange the cleaning module for any other module. For the concept art, the dimension have to be 100% percent accurate, but for the general requirement and the hardware of the robot, I'd need a length of at least 160mm and a height of 80-100mm and a weidht of 90mm, so Right now I've only drawn a simple box, I'm gonna upload the pic soon, when I've bought a scanner. The oly thing futuristic about this box are the haptic sensor, which look like a cool robot ramp nose.

But I want it to look F**** awesome, and I would really need your input to get inspirations on what I should draw in the concept art. Since it's a hightech device for smart home, I think it should look like some cool robot of the 30th century. In the final modelling with the 3D printer I can add light LEDs so nearly anything is possible, maybe a floating design would be cool as well. You know the robot not using wheels but flying to clean a cupboard, the floor or table? might be a great idea, I'm thinking about whow to buid it though, maybe hoverccraft-ish technology, with lightweight gas?
But , nah, Concept art first. So guys what do you think would look cool. SOmething like a chrome design? should I give it a light blue look? Or something more metal like, like a W40K servitor thing?

Cheers.

Goes off to google and types in futuristic robots....finds lots of ideas, types in robots.... finds lots loads of ideas, thinks of anime so types in mecha.... finds lots of ideas.

Yep no idea why you're asking us for ideas when there are literally millions of ideas out there already where everyone will have a different idea of what is actually cool... personally I like rahxephon, nirvash and vardant but they're not exactly practical around the home...

Also just a sidenote... if it's the 30th century, which is basically another 900 years, they'll be humanoid, with a full AI, or specifically designed for the task at hand, we're not exactly far off that now.

Form follows function. How it looks should really be an outcome of what it does. Why would it hover? Perhaps it's a side-effect of powerful suction? Bring your ideas down to Earth and think in a really critical, real-world way. Why would I even want a hovering robot in my home? What purpose does the hover functionality provide? Would it be in my way as I navigate the house? Would it be loud or distracting? How would you prevent these things through its design?

The thing to remember with design is it is intended to solve a problem, not just look attractive. Every part of that robot should suit its intended function, anything else is superfluous.

Why would I even want a hovering robot in my home? What purpose does the hover functionality provide?
Did you not see how much benefit the daleks gained from adding a hover mode into their kit.... they could finally go up stairs, and fly....

Did you not see how much benefit the daleks gained from adding a hover mode into their kit.... they could finally go up stairs, and fly....
That sounds like a perfect reason not to implement hover functionality, though 'stairs' is a pretty good reason why the OP's design should probably use it :giggle:

Back