My CV for Creative Artworker

Mattdbryce

Hi there,

I need some help with my CV content. I'm trying to sell myself as a Creative Artworker and i'm looking for a bit of feedback.

What i do now is essentially limited to brochure design for property so i've tried to hide that fact in order that potential employers can see i am more diverse.

Do you think anything needs to be added or removed?

Thanks and any help/feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Matt

Attachments

• NEWCV.pdf
    142.1 KB · Views: 99
I would remove the part time roles as they dominate your career.
Half a page on over 3 years work and efforts seem incredibly thin and throwaway to me, the balance is all wrong. Your more specific about Uni modules.
I would want to know what type of work did, how was that skill applied, what software skills, The last 3 years in employment are what matters, dig deeper and big it up.
Also your interest in new forms of applications and technology and thinking etc. I would like to see how interesting and colourful you are.

Content wise - see above.

In terms of the layout - first impression doesn't lend to the fact you want to / work in the creative industry, looks very much like its been done in Word.

Use columns, grids, pull out the important info, bullet point if you have to. Make it look like you want me to read and take in every piece of info there. Remove double spaces and sort out your spacings.

And if you have to have it on two pages (personally i prefer it on one - but thats me) - have a footer with your contact details on both sheets.

Also if you have mattbryce.com why do you have a gmail email???

Thanks guys! A lot of good advice!

Yep, busted! It was done in word! I'm currently completely re-doing the whole thing now in indesign now.

I have a lot of unnecessary content and not enough technical jargon in the CV. I'm using more bullets, part time roles removed, secondary school info removed, grades removed, Uni information cut down. I'm also rewriting the whole Current Employment section, appears to be too much about the company in there and not enough about what i do!

A few questions: Is it necessary to say i'm an expert in digital imaging or does that come under being an expert in photoshop? How necessary is a personal statement on a CV? I was thinking of putting this as part of my covering letter.

I've been trying to follow this help - The Graphic Design Resume Guide On here they mention:

Organizations
Employers love to see that you are involved in the design community so if you belong to any design organizations then list them!

Are you guys members of any organizations? Could you recommend any?

I have aquired [email protected] which looks a lot more pro!

Once i'm done i'll repost my CV and would really appreciate any further feedback!

Thanks again,

Matt

Hi guys!

Hopefully this is a bit of an improvement on my last CV. I'm thinking there's too much space on page 1, what do you think about the order?

Please be as brutal as you like with feedback!

Very much appreciated,

Matt

I have created a new 1 page version of my CV which i hope is a little more eye catching:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...TQtZjNiZC00MDk3LTgzZjktNThkYjMyZjAyZTM5&hl=en

I have a question: How should i sell myself?

Ideally I would like to work as a graphic designer, but i'm unsure if i'm skilled enough for this kind of role. I only design brochure for property at the moment which is quite limited. I am working on my portfolio however which will involve re-branding a delicatessen, poster design, album artwork and property brochures. Is this enough to call myself a graphic designer?

Thanks!

Matt

Saying you're an expert in digital imaging AND an expert in Photoshop is almost like saying you're an expert at woodwork AND at using a hammer.

Hi Matt

Your one page one is the best one I think! Instantly more attractive, and like you said more eye-catching. (I seriously need to rework mine! haha!) :)

Also would you consider putting your social networking links if you have set them up for your business? i.e. LinkedIn - IF you have ones that are related to your company?

Check out this link: 10 Signs Your Resume Needs Updating | New Grad Life

There are many different ways to update your CV it seems, just need to find a way that suits you and also the company you are directly applying to. All the skills and experience on you CV needs to be directed towards the particular post you're applying for - that's what I've been told by almost everyone I've spoken to.

Hope that helps! :)

Does nobody check the date of the original post (or even the last one before reviving).....The thread starter hasn't even been on the forum since 17-01-11 :rolleyes:

This is why we need an auto thread locking system after three months of inactivity :)

Sound idea Levi, though is 3 months a bit sharp? Maybe 6.

Oh, and...

B4386DEB-2CCF-4945-8AA4545D355A48FC.jpg

Now thats awesome!

Ahh Magic the Gathering.. its been many years since I played that LOL

chrismitchell said:
Now thats awesome!

Ahh Magic the Gathering.. its been many years since I played that LOL

Hard to believe it's still going. I played it briefly at school. Got bored of it rather quickly, although some of the artwork is phenomenal.

I played it for many years... that and AD&D (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons), Shadowrun, Vampire the Gathering and many more... yes I was a massive geek! LOL

Back