Moving a wordpress site

bigdave

I'm having issues with moving a WP site from one server to another.

The new server had a wp site on there already which I've deleted and then followed the WP steps to moving the site. all went well with uploading the database and uploading the site but the site was showing as 'Error establishing database connection'. I had a rummage around google which pointed to the DB_HOST in wp-config.php being set by default to 'LOCAL'. The host is godaddy which apparently needs the DB_HOST to be 'h41mysql52.secureserver.net' so I did this. Nos the site's giving a 'connection reset' error when trying to load.

Does anyone know how to resolve this?

you may need to clear your sites cache, if not cleared it will still contain data relating to your old server and this could be causing the issues.

I contacted GoDaddy and got a reply along the lines of...

"We are aware of this issue. It happens from time to time on shared servers where volumes of traffic are high. We cannot give an accurate estimation of if or when this particular issue will be resolved but we suggest you monitor the site in the coming weeks."

The hosting with GoDaddy was due to expire on 1/5/13 so the owner of the site has agreed to use my employers hosting package. New issue is, nobody seems able to find the email sent to the registered owner of the domain name to allow transfer of the domain, and without the transfer being complete the domain seems to be unusable. The whois details come back correct but the bloke (the father-in-law of the customer who's site it is) claims he's not received it and doesn't know what email address was used to order it.

I contacted GoDaddy and got a reply along the lines of...

"We are aware of this issue. It happens from time to time on shared servers where volumes of traffic are high. We cannot give an accurate estimation of if or when this particular issue will be resolved but we suggest you monitor the site in the coming weeks."

The hosting with GoDaddy was due to expire on 1/5/13 so the owner of the site has agreed to use my employers hosting package. New issue is, nobody seems able to find the email sent to the registered owner of the domain name to allow transfer of the domain, and without the transfer being complete the domain seems to be unusable. The whois details come back correct but the bloke (the father-in-law of the customer who's site it is) claims he's not received it and doesn't know what email address was used to order it.

God - this so sums up shared hosting! The registrant email should show up on the whois. If that email is no longer being used the domain owner needs to contact goDaddy directly and ask for registrant email to be manually changed - he'll probably need to provide some documentation by fax to prove he is owner. If it's a .co.uk domain you can go direct to Nominet, prove you are the owner and they'll unlock domain for you.

The wordpress issue is as has been mentioned will most likely be the db name, hostname, username, or pass, settings in wp-config. I wouldn't necessarily believe their customer support as that sounds like a stock answer. I love the way they say check your site from time to time in the coming weeks...

Back