Movies Thread

scotty

Staff member
I've seen a few good and not so good films recently.

El Camino was pretty awesome but on the flip side I found John Wick 3 a disappointment.

I've watched Mid90's for the second time in two days.
It has to rank in my top five of all time.

How about you?

hankscorpio

Staff member
I was very disappointed with El Camino. But John Wick it is what it is - a guy and a gun and out for vengeance/survival - Loved the 3 movies just pure chewing gum for the brain.

I've recently seen all the Olympus Has Fallen movies - there's three in the series with Gerard Butler - it is again chewing gum for the brain stuff.

One of my all time favourite movies is Donnie Darko, but I'm into weird dystopian/time travel films anyway.

Comedies, Top Secret is the absolute best comedy I've ever seen - you have to watch it it is brilliant!

scotty

Staff member
I think I expected to be disappointed by El Camino but I really enjoyed it.
It's a few years since I saw Breaking Bad too.

I don't mind the odd shooty film like John Wick.
Loved the first one but by the third there was almost no story at all and just Mr Wick doing spinny, flippy shit and shooting people under the chin pretty much constantly.

Only watched Donnie Darko once as it kind of weirded me out but it is one of those Marmite films I guess? ;)

Wardy

Not a movie, but I've been really enjoying Giri/Haji which was on BBC2 earlier in the year. It's a Japanese/English cop/gangster thriller.
You need to search for it on iPlayer.

scotty

Staff member
Not a movie, but I've been really enjoying Giri/Haji which was on BBC2 earlier in the year. It's a Japanese/English cop/gangster thriller.
You need to search for it on iPlayer.
Damn! Can't watch that as it's on iPlayer. :(

nshep

I tried to watch the Irishman on Netflix but fell asleep in the middle. Pro tip: Don't try to watch a 3.5 hour movie on New Year's Day.

I recently watched the new Star Wars movie, it's ok but not great. 6/10 but fills an afternoon.

scotty

Staff member
I tried to watch the Irishman on Netflix but fell asleep in the middle. Pro tip: Don't try to watch a 3.5 hour movie on New Year's Day.

I recently watched the new Star Wars movie, it's ok but not great. 6/10 but fills an afternoon.
My wife was going to take the boys to see the new Star Wars film but decided against it as we'd heard mixed reviews.
Glad she didn't now.

That can wait for Netflix. ;)

hankscorpio

Staff member
I'm having a movie night soon with the mates.

Just wondering what others would recommend.
Flavour of previous bests:
Top Secret
Kung Fury
Basketball
The Burbs

Can't think of others - but gives a flavour of type of movies.

scotty

Staff member
I'm having a movie night soon with the mates.

Just wondering what others would recommend.
Flavour of previous bests:
Top Secret
Kung Fury
Basketball
The Burbs

Can't think of others - but gives a flavour of type of movies.
I didn't know they's actually made Kung Fury.
I remember seeing a bit about it before they did.
Gonna check that baby out! :D

I'll have a think on that one Hank.