Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by xxmissbirdyxx, Jan 23, 2010.

1. xxmissbirdyxx

xxmissbirdyxx Senior Member

I need help :(

I cant motivate myself AT ALL to do my uni work, I've even considered dropping out of uni :/ but I know I can't and need to stick this year and next.

What do you do for motivation and how do you get your creativity flowing?

2. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

Is there a specific task or kind of task (e.g. 3D stuff) or do you just not like uni?
  3. xxmissbirdyxx

Eugh its getting really tedious and i just cant get into it. We have a design in context lecture - the lecturer is american and all our work she gives us is about american architecture, the design projects are rubbish and the same over and over and over again, the people on my course are darn right horrible :( arghhhhh
  4. glenwheeler

glenwheeler Senior Member

Shut the door, leave MSN and everything else off and put some music on and just work away. Once your in the zone you'll be fine. I guess you only feel like quitting because your always so busy so just keep pushing and and you will get there with it.

If i was'nt motivated enougth to do work then I would get a friend over to work with me, we could help each other out that way. We have all seen the work your capable of so keep going and you will get there in the end :)!
  5. xxmissbirdyxx

Meh I guess.

Music doesnt really help me concentrate or get me in the zone it distracts me lol.

Why do i get distracted too easily :/
  6. glenwheeler

I was gonna say "blonde" but your obviously not lol!

You could always site in a quiet room and talk to yourself **cough cough** like mad people do
  7. xxmissbirdyxx

and rock backwards and forwards? lol
  8. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

My motivation was deadlines and the simple fact I wanted the letters at the end of my name, I was more productive nearer the due date than at the beginning.

It wasn't like I had many classes after the first year anyways, most of it was self study and I think second year had about 3 hours of tutor and final year about 30 mins often groups per week.
  9. Lunera

Lunera Senior Member

You can observe what happens in your mind when you work, or when you will work. Your feelings, your thinkings.
    Then, when you note what happens, you can find how changing your vision of your work. If you think "it will be hard" "it will be unpleasant" before you work, that's normal that it becomes very hard to you to work.
    You can find pleasure in your work (really). Try to remember a moment when you enjoyed your work, and then, catch this feeling and put it on your current work.
    If you want to work, think that is the better thing that you have to do. You don't have to work all day long, just few hours.

What is your desire ? Why do you want to work ? You must have an aim. This is your motivation. To pass your exams ? Or something more.
    You have the answer in your mind.
  10. glenwheeler

HAHA! Can see you doing that aswell going a long to a little humming sound!
  11. allyally2k

allyally2k Senior Member

I always used to reward myself if I completed something. Like... don't watch any TV all day just get on with the work and say to yourself if I get this done by such a time then I can finally relax and watch my fave show, feeling like you can relax now you've achieved something!

And, I think sometimes when you work really hard you need a break from the work and time to relax and let the mind recharge. Things often look better with fresh eyes and inspiration often comes when your relaxed in the bath or something!
  12. xxmissbirdyxx

I'm the same - I like the stress that makes me work at the end of a deadline :/

*Hmmm HMMM Hmmm Hmmmmmmm* :p

:D Thank youuu I have woken up this morning with a completely new mindset :) Lets hope it sticks

Thats a really good idea :D

Thanks everyone! Lets hope I can keep my positivity up :)
  13. glenwheeler

HAHA! Quality!
  14. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

Stay up til stupid o'clock in the morning, then put on Moby's Play album and work like a coffee zombie. It's how I got through crap modules at uni!
  15. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

That's just life for me....:cowbat:
  16. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

I will admit that failing my second year was the best thing that ever happened to me! I lost all motivation the first time round. I was working 2 jobs at the time, not a smart move, and it destoryed me.

But the fact that I failed was the biggest kick up the arse ever! As levi said, tight deadlines are a great motivator. I find that I have different moods, some days music is the thing, other days having the TV on, but it has to be nonsense that I have seen dozens of times (friends, star trek, simpsons), its enough to keep you a little preoccupied, but not lose the stroke.

Motivation is a weird one, and some of the **** you have to do in uni can suck, but you will be amazed how useful alot of it will become. I hated design history (really old stuff, william morris and all that jazz) but it helped me understand a bigger picture that I am now satisfied it was worth trooping through!
  17. glenwheeler

Great album!!
  18. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

I wish I hadn't been around when it went mental and got played to death, that way I might like it!
  19. Romack

Romack Senior Member

have a nice cup of tea
  20. Aarlev

Aarlev Member

Nothing like a cuppa to get you motivated. :p

What Lunera said is a good motivator I think. Think about why you're doing this course and what you want to achieve in your life. You might not enjoy the current project, but see it as a means to an end?