Motion Graphics - Best way to ACCURATELY replicate this

@GCarlD

Hi guys,

This is just a 10 sec clip of what I am going to be working with, the full vid is actually quite a few minutes long:

Can you please advise me on the most efficient way of reproducing this display; ignore the background, it is just the green coloured navigation that I need to replicate.

Is it best to create it manually from scratch using the vid as a background 'template' if you like, or can I just select all the green colours in the vid in order to mask off the background?

I am planning to use Adobe AfterEffects; would you recommend I dust off this tool out of my toolbox or is it a bit of an overkill for this job (i.e. using a hammer on a screw)?

If not, what would you recommend?

Also, you will notice the increasing numbers on the display, is there an automated way of achieving this? Problem is, they are not always increasing at a consistent speed, so I will need full control in order to accurately replicate.

Cheers! :)

That's be pretty straight forward in Ae.

You'd just need to set a comp with the green navigation stuff and you'd be able to drop whatever you want behind it.

Not quite sure about the numbers though.

I've seen a few tut's of clocks and countdowns and the like in Ae which may use a bit of script to do it automatically but it wouldn't be a real biggie to do it manually.

Ah I wish it was that simple mate. There is stuff going on in the background throughout the video, eg, clouds in the sky, the runway at the start etc... The way I see it I have one of two options:

1/ Somehow use the footage and remove the background, which I have tried by using a black filter on top of the footage with an overlay blend. It did the trick but the green nav becomes a bit distorted and I lose some of the clarity in the numbers as you can see here:

Screen Shot 2017-07-07 at 10.16.43.png

2/ This was my original plan albeit will be very time consuming due to the length of the full footage and the required level of accuracy: I can create the whole nav myself from scratch. The main issue with that is accurately replicating the increasing numbers :( I have creating the increasing numbers using an Expression Source Text (my numbers) and then Pick Whipping it to a Slider Control effect; works great… the only problem is the numbers in the footage increase at varying speeds which is extremely difficult to match! Bare in mind, I have basic knowledge of AfterEffects…

My knowledge is basic at best and I haven't picked up Ae in quite a while.

So it's the varying speed of the numbers that are proving difficult?

Maybe you could create the numbers as a separate comp, just counting up (using the expression) and then use 'time remapping' to speed up, slow down and reverse it?

I did a quick search and this is what I'm thinking.

Time Remapping! Mate, you may have just solved the timing issue, that looks perfect. Assuming I can apply it to the speed counter I made (I don't see why not), I should then have full control over its speed over segments of time throughout the vid. Still a lengthy task but that will make things simpler.

Cheers mate! I'll let you know how I get on :)

NNNOOOOOOooooo....oooooo :'( It doesn't work on text layers (my speed counter) it only works on the actual movie footage. Damn!

Back to square one...

Wait! What if I render my speed counter into a movie (.mp4) and import it into my comp and THEN try adding the Time Remapping?? :cautious:

WOW I'm slow, I just re-read what you said, you already suggested I do that! DOH! Sorry... :oops:

LOL! I was about to suggest that but it looks like you got there.

All part of the Ae learning curve mate.

Well done and fingers still crossed.

Here's what I've done so far:

The last 5 seconds is a bit shaky, it's when the nav rotates anti-clockwise and moves upwards diagonally: Any tips on how to move something like this smoothly and fluidly like my verticle and horizontal line movements during the first 25 secs?

Seems like something very simple but it's a bit tricky as it is constantly moving and rotating, if not I would just draw a diagonal line mask at the required angle and have it follow that path...

Nost as shaky as my Ae knowledge. ;)

How've you set it up?

Like most things there's many ways to get the same result.
Maybe to put the pitch bit (whatever they're called, the bit that goes up/down and twists) in a comp which does the up/down motion and then rotate the comp.
So that you have the up/down motion inside the comp and then rotate the comp separately so the two movements are independent from each other and the rotate has a fixed point?

Sorry. It's early.

@scotty Great minds think alike, that is exactly what I was planning to do but it just seemed like such an amateurish solution haha, I thought there must be a more professional way of getting the same result.

But if it works, it works right? ;)

I've not touched Ae for ages and I want to get back into it and finish some of the things I was working on off.

It's amazing what you can do with Ae just using the simple elements to build something bigger.

I've found the more you use it the more your mind is able to solve things.

Yeah true, although that applies to most things I suppose.

Motion graphics was always my favourite aspect of graphic design but I never got any work from it, so like you, I haven't touched it for years. I've had to remember everything from scratch and re-learn as I go along, while learning new things along the way... Like Time Remapping! Thanks to you, that saved the day and got me the go-ahead for the job :D Client was so impressed, he wants to add an extra 3+ mins to the footage.

Mate! Well chuffed for you! :D

No worries. That's what's the forum's for and I'm glad I could help out in some way.

I want to get back into animation/motion as it's just SO good what you can do and it's easy to get lost in a project.
It takes your design to a whole new level.

You never know. This might have given me the kick up the arse I needed. ;)

Go for it mate! I do find it hard to quote for motion graphics due to it being a service I am least experienced in but even then, sometimes the simplest things can take the longest to achieve so, how do you quote for a motion graphics piece? My quote is pretty much based on complexity and required length of vid as opposed to the length of time it will take me to complete as I find that impossible to predict...

I will! :D

I've got an animated pop vid for my virtual band that I never finished.
It got quite complex so I've always been a little scared to re-open Pandora's box. ;)

I sometimes work with a motion graphics company who make a lot of animated explainers.
This is why I started with Ae so I had a better understanding of the animation process.
I don't know what they charge but I Googled "how much for an explainer video" and £15-£30k is not uncommon.
I guess you have to take in the voice overs and stuff though.

I think you have to think more of 'value to the client' rather than hours put in.
The larger the client the bigger the bill and so on.

A bit like "how much for a logo" but I don't want to get into that one. ;)

Any idea on the correct FPS to set up the comp? I used to know all these things off by heart like the difference in FPS in UK vs US for TV etc.

The footage I was given to work from seems to be 10 FPS although I wouldn't have ever guessed that as the movements are so smooth and fluid.

Oh I should probably mention, haha very important point... It is going to be projected onto a wall or something.

Any idea what FPS I should set it as for a projection?

Back