Monopoly Repackaging

Dave1975

Just found this great repackaging project completed by Andy Mangold (currently studying Graphic Design at the Maryland Institute College of Art), thought it was great myself so thought I'd post here for others to see (if you haven't already) :)

andymangold.jpg

Monopoly, in spite being the classiest of all board games, unfortunately is packaged just as boringly and uncreatively as every other garbage board game on the shelves. So, I decided to repackage it... turning the class up to 11.

All of the boxes are made out of chocolate brown mat board and skinned in cream arches cover. The final package is just over 10" x 10" x 1.5" and includes smaller containers for all of the various pieces and cards and a laser-cut holder for all of the houses and hotels.

It does have an element of Thornton's toffee about it!
Would have been good to see a new design for the board & cards to match the re-designed packaging :)

gre said:
i prefer the original.

it has heritage, they should never change it.

i agree.

If you didn't know about the game and what the game was. What does it communicate?
It's design over content. Do you get excited about buying the game? Or do you just like the design?

It's like a Dairy Milk Box. Does it have edible hotels? Now...Edible Monoply that's could be something. Imaging popping into Tesco's to buy new Houses and Hotels!!

( 7 posts left Greg!)

Berry said:
If you didn't know about the game and what the game was. What does it communicate?
It's design over content. Do you get excited about buying the game? Or do you just like the design?

As I know the game I recognised the main character image used on the front of the box, but yes I agree with what you're saying, it doesn't really sell the game, perhaps that's why I found his packaging project interesting as it is so different to all the other board games on the shelves, but looking at it practically, it wouldn't promote the game!

If it was for a Thornton's special edition edible version then it could be spot on! :D
(6 posts! :D)

First thought: Chocolate!

For a monopoly box its pretty crap...for a chocolate box...its awesome! :) (I am talking about the main box here)

The little holders for the cards and money are pretty cool though (my old set doesnt have that so forgive me if this is standard now!)

that holder strip will be lost or broken in an instant though...

don't get me wrong, it's nicely designed.

it's just too big a leap from the classic. It's good for a Uni project.

Thats the one for me.

Well designed - good packaging. Chocolate box or not its a quality redesign. A great move up from the countless shabby real 'redesigns' Waddingtons have done over the years.

I'd buy it. And build a house on Old Kent Road.

Well designed - good packaging. Chocolate box or not its a quality redesign. A great move up from the countless shabby real 'redesigns' Waddingtons have done over the years.

I'd buy it. And build a house on Old Kent Road.

Agreed :D there's something strange that attracts me, simplicity i guess.

Pretty but no great idea. Not better than the original and it doesn't capture the spirit of the game. If this is a student project then it's poor. It should wow you.

Back