MIkeButtery - Website Rebrand WiP

MikeButtery

Evening,

Urm... I found a couple hours, so decided to rebrand my website. Most know my HTML skills are poor, but I got this far...

MIKEBUTTERY - Graphic Designer

A few notes:

It is a work in progress, so its sloppy...

The yellow image, yeah thats melted butter, or fat, its probably getting changed.

I haven't put any alt tags in or heights or widths on the images (this may explain why the website looks like its expanding on first load!)

The hyperlinks don't work or roll over yet, HTML hurts my head so I will save that for later. But I will be linking samples directly to the correct gallery page as suggested on a previous post.

I don't really like butter!

Feedback, comments, insults or suggestions to achieve enlightenment appreciated!

haha tasty and versatile. :D
Like the blurb too lol

I'm glad you mentioned that the melted gloop is getting changed, its very unappealing :( Maybe some chomped on toast or something would be good there?

(like this: http://www.fotobank.ru/img/FC01-0076.jpg?size=l)

Great start though, won't comment on the code as I'm no monkey, I just know enough to get by :p

As nice and clean as it is, it feels *too* clean for your branding. It needs just one or two extra touches to make the website *yours*. To make it buttery-ish.

I think you need to darken the background a little more, more towards brown (or even a subtle toast texture :p) as at present the yellow is a little hard to read for me.

I like your current one much more than this one. Not much constructive to say... the yellow is hard on the eyes.

Quickly knocked this up tonight, but my webserver won't let me FTP to upload it... will try again in the morning, I feel its getting better.... (blob will be changed at some point!)

sample.jpg

As always feed back appreciated...

Adding a light grey background to it cheapens the overall look of the site and makes it feel more like a brochure site. I think perhaps what Levi had in mind (correct me if I'm wrong though, Levi) was an overall darkening of the site's background. And there definitely needs to be more of your butter/toast coming through throughout the site.

Anagoge - pretty much what I meant. The yellow on white is just to harsh and it isn't working, the white needs to be 'dirtied' up a bit hence my subtle brown.

I do like the little wing shadows though :)

Dear Mike,

CV PDF. . . please do not justify the type on the left column.
Also mate, and Im just thinking from a potential employer point of view. The butter reference is far too cliche . . . sorry.

I prefer you PDF feel than your website, the butter image on the right looks like sick???? And the butter logo looks more like BBQ Ribs, but yellow . . . again sorry, its only what I see . . .

Vanya.

13faces said:
Dear Mike,

CV PDF. . . please do not justify the type on the left column.
Also mate, and Im just thinking from a potential employer point of view. The butter reference is far too cliche . . . sorry.

I prefer you PDF feel than your website, the butter image on the right looks like sick???? And the butter logo looks more like BBQ Ribs, but yellow . . . again sorry, its only what I see . . .

Vanya.

Vanya, have you seen the thread about the logo development, a good read if you missed it....

http://www.designforums.co.uk/work-project-feedback-critique/3065-personal-logo-concept.html

it's a knob of butter like this....

beurre-spirale.jpg

I agree with the butter pic on the right though, most unsavoury, needs to me more buttered toast or crumpet mmmmmm

Buttered_crumpet2.jpg

:clap:

It is nice to see someone developing something from raw research . . . I just think that the knob of butter looks weird when in vectors?

Also what does it actually say about you, and your profile as a designer? Apart from the obvious play on your own name which again seems to be trying too hard and is far too self indulgent for no added value.

It is only my opinion, but I have seen a few Creative Directors cringe when they see similar attempts on relaying a sense of humor through your logo as a designer.

Your work should do the talking. Just do some more funny projects that have witty outcomes to show that you have a canny laugh at your self.

If your name is butter, do a project on butter. Make sculptures, paint with . . . whatever.

still has the same issue I have highlighted every time - the combination of white and yellow are hard on my eyes (and others I would suspect)

Hmm... I really like the yellow, I think it draws your eyes to them links, but I do see what you mean?

Any ideas? Different colour? toast texture? like the toast bit at the top?

I think the toast would look better if it wasn't as close up. Maybe if you could see the whole toast? I don't know if you've already tried this and it looked crap? The burnt effect looks great though :up:

MikeButtery said:
Hmm... I really like the yellow, I think it draws your eyes to them links, but I do see what you mean?

Any ideas? Different colour? toast texture? like the toast bit at the top?

Levi said:
I think you need to darken the background a little more, more towards brown (or even a subtle toast texture :p) as at present the yellow is a little hard to read for me.

Anagoge said:
Adding a light grey background to it cheapens the overall look of the site and makes it feel more like a brochure site. I think perhaps what Levi had in mind (correct me if I'm wrong though, Levi) was an overall darkening of the site's background.

Levi posted that back on page one of this thread Mike, have you tried it yet?

butter.jpg

This burnt in image isn't working for me, if I didn't know what it was supposed to be I'm not sure if I would 'get it' to be honest?!

I think dark brown to replace the grey or at least see what it looks like. And maybe a shade of light brown for background?

Hay Mike,
I'll have a proper look in a bit but the first 2 things that spring to mind is ~
1. Change your title element to:
<title>Mike Buttery - Freelance graphic designer based in Blackpool</title>

That way if any1 searches for graphic designers in Blackpool you will have a greater chance of showing up and highly.

2. On Firefox the link for Available to work now and the links for your featured work looks about 2 pixels to low, and therefore out of wack.

Just the first things that spring to mind TBH.

Jaz
Key:
Blue ~ XHTML

Back