Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Microsoft to buy Adobe??

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by Greg, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Greg

Greg Active Member

Rumours were circulating yesterday that there could be a potential buyout of Adobe by Microsoft!
    UPDATE 3-Adobe shares jump on Microsoft buy report | Reuters

2. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

Wondering how this will play out...

3. mcskillz

mcskillz Member

Potentially no Adobe on OSX in the future? I think I might be a bit ill.

I doubt it'll work out that way though.

4. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

Very unlikely, perhaps they'll phase out flash support for osx.

5. mcskillz

mcskillz Member

Or… will they try and get their silverlight player more into the fore??

6. br3n

br3n Senior Member

It's a shame because adobe products currently work.... Oh well :(

7. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

Microsoft products work better than adobe products...

8. ralphsaunders

ralphsaunders Senior Member

Yeah they do, but can they really save Adobe? CS5 is so poor, I'm not sure Microsoft can bring all of the suite up to scratch.

9. Wee Jimmy

Wee Jimmy Senior Member

Oh god.. why do I sense "Windows Genuine Advantage" for all products :( that is a horrible thought. "If you don't use windows, you can't use the best tools!"

10. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

I don't want microsoft to take over Adobe, or to change the way the adobe things are being made.
    Was just commenting on the standard of adobe products vs microsoft ones.

I don't think CS5 is poor at all. Why do you?

I do hope they don't do anything like WGA, I get a pop-up constantly for my windows 7, yet have official windows 7, just can't be bothered to sort it

11. ralphsaunders

ralphsaunders Senior Member

The UI in CS5 (and the previous versions, but less so) is fairly poor & it crashes too much.

12. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

Can't personally see adobe being bought out by microsoft, no reason for it.
    I doubt that ms would stop apple versions even if they did as they sell office for the mac too.

I'm going to go with the tablet/smartphone market and microsoft wants air/flash on it's devices. Maybe even talking about getting adobe to produce a version of their iOs app conversion software to work with msphone and windows embedded. This would make sense as it would allow developers to use one program to write software for iOS and ms phone/embedded/zune etc - actually surprised google hasn't done this too......

As to silverlight, personally I think it's better than flash for video, it's adaptive streaming capabilities where it adjusts quality to match bandwidth is fantastic, it's already gpu accelerated at least on windows. However flash and html5 seems to be the preferred route strangely. Maybe they'll try and combine them as they both have pro's and con's or maybe ms want's it to be added into the development kit, silverlight is ms expression only at the mo iirc

13. Greg

Greg Active Member

Would the combination of Microsoft & Adobe in the tablet/smartphone market create decent competition for the dominance of Apple in this area do you think?

14. Levi

Well if they use adobe air (which is also on android) a developer can use the same tools (I'd assume theres a converter) to make a 'mobile' version of the app. Several twitter apps for example use adobe air. It's not so much would it be decent competition it would be more about making more apps available and also making it easier for developers to make them. No developers, mean no apps, just look at palm os, fantastic os (supposedly, haven't used it) but it has so little developer support it's just not worth having, well that an the hardware could be better.

Flash is a point of contention on the iPad, (some) people do want it on there (hell the hackers have hacked the adobe version to work on a jailbroken one) and as shown on android it can work pretty well IF the os company and adobe work together and is on the right hardware (same on a pc). You've also got the marketing side of things - you have the complete internet experience and not the missing extension icon.

Windows embedded needs custom interfaces iirc, flash will often be used for this too, not sure if adobe air could be used instead though.

15. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

This sums up any concern I have, I would hate to have to go back to a PC because of package!

Adobe buy macromedia, microsoft are buying adobe...whats next? Apple are going to have to buy Corel!

16. Levi

I doubt you'd have to worry over corel, apart from maybe painter I don't actually think anyone actually buys it anymore lol

Even if ms bought adobe and stopped mac support I'd put money on apple buying pixelmator and inkscape (or similar), improving them and making them 'pro' software to go with their video editing suite. They could even buy quark if they really wanted to.

17. I would think that if they had to they would buy Quark and Corel and make an Apple Designer Package from it or something like that.

18. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

He stops using a million smileys per post and starts talking sense!

19. I'm going back to a Quadra and Illy 3.

20. i'm sure that my old posts made sense.. just the smileys destroyed the message LOL