Microsoft need a collective kick up the arse from us developers

mike_watts

This is mostly a rant so bare with me: :mad:
I've just come across the most ridiculous bug with IE yet: the built in pop up blocker blocks the options window that opens when you click on a select element. Even allowing it through the blocker doesn't fix the problem.

I am sick and tired of having to deal with these stupid, stupid issues wasting valuable time again and again on this piece of arse browser. Opera, Firefox and Safari and the vast majority of other browsers work fine: things look great; elements are where they should be; things work as intended. But then it comes to that horrid part in any development cycle - testing it on IE. Experience has taught me that testing in IE should happen early in developing websites to minimise lengthy rewrites to code, but some things should just work - a select box should just work.

Anyway - I want to propose that if you have problems with IE that we should all collectively invoice Microsoft for all the time wasted on making fixes for their stupid browser. (hmm, I've just had a funny idea for a site).

Sorry you guys, rant over, I needed to vent...

Any ideas on how to fix this?

well there was the lovely site IE6 must die or something like that which was always funny :p LOL

I think that this is just another thing to add to the list in our other IE based threads :p

mike_watts said:
Anyway - I want to propose that if you have problems with IE that we should all collectively invoice Microsoft for all the time wasted on making fixes for their stupid browser. (hmm, I've just had a funny idea for a site).

InvoiceBill dot com?! Simply select the common IE browser bug/issue, select the number of hours spent on fixing it or creating a workaround, and multiply by average web developer hourly rate, giving a nice big sum of total invoice to Mr Gates? :clap:

i'm sure it would be less than the monopolies and mergers fine that Micro$oft gets :p :lol:

Greg said:
InvoiceBill dot com?! Simply select the common IE browser bug/issue, select the number of hours spent on fixing it or creating a workaround, and multiply by average web developer hourly rate, giving a nice big sum of total invoice to Mr Gates? :clap:

You got it - a nice big fat number on the screen counting upwards aswell as a place to vent and a place to help fix the problems, I like the name too!

LOL a flash counter with bills face above it :p that was be so viral :p

we would need a twitter feed and facebook to get the word out :p LOL

I dont really understand the code side of things but there it seams obvious to me where the majority of the problems lie with reguards to any ms product, especially those which have expanded/developed through time and are now on different versions etc...

Using opperating systems as an example.. Remember when the xp code was leaked online and most of the press' interest was in the comments written by the coders alongside the codelines? Well a from what I saw the majority of the comments were fixes and some dated back to win98 or previous.. meaning they develop ontop and around what they have already created.

I know its possible and obvious the most cost effective method but look at it like a graphic or web page - you could chop up the image and add extra elements to update it, rewrite half the html and create a new css but at the end of the day surely there comes a point where you should start from scratch? Constantly building ontop of already existing code is sure to lead to problems, there are still fixes for win98 in place although we're in 2009 and technology has advanced at an incredible rate.

Before we go flaming microsoft (I am very happy to do so after using vista for a while) remember just how much they have done for the computer industry, without ie there would be no firefox/safari/opera as you know it... Microsoft went to court to try and claim rights to the "double click" - ok they didn't win but it shows just how much influence they have/had on everything we do today.

Interested in doing it as a joint viral project for Design Forums if you're cool with that Mike? Don't want to steal the idea if you're going to do it as a side project?

I don't think we are doubting their contribution.. just IE :)

without IE you wouldn't learn to appreciate the dust that settles on the keyboard while waiting for it to actually do its job :p :lol:

LOL good on ya Brendan :p you'd get lynched if you were on M$ side when it came to IE :p :lol:

Supposedly IE8 is over taking IE6 for usage lately
that is a major step forward and well done M$ for sorting out advertising IE8....

No longer should people using the internet use such old browsers, I would find it weird if a firefox user told me he was using firefox 2.x but expect someone with no computer knowledge to be on IE6 or 7.

Ignorance shouldn't be allowed in this, spread the word, tell everyone that they should be on IE8 (or Firefox / opera / chrome / safari)

renniks said:
Supposedly IE8 is over taking IE6 for usage lately

Not according to any of my logs IE 7 (64%) has the vast majority IE 6 has 20% and IE 7 has 12% oh and 1 person using IE 5.23!!

Back