Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meditation for beginners help.

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by Jazajay, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Jazajay

Jazajay Active Member

Right now I know some of you are going to go down the route of OMG I totally saw this coming with him, but meditation and other forms of relaxation, Tia Chi for example, are proven to dramatically increase your T-Cell count so seriously up your immune system which makes you more resistant to stress, cancer or any other kind of disease. Clearing your mind also stops you getting sidetracked and helps with concentration and productivity as your not thinking about that deadline, home issue your just focusing on the task at hand, it improves digestion and absorption of nutrients as it lowers your stress levels, lowers your blood pressure etc...etc....

I'm not into any of this new age hippy kind of stuff but purely for my own health and proven medical side effects of letting the body relax, It's also a great way to stop you being stressed, not that I am, which can kill you.

So any one into it or can recommend any books?

Been through Amazon and there appears to be 2 kind of books from what I have been reading so thought I would try to get a view by anyone who has started doing it or does do it, or has thought about it, or got put off by it because of..... if you get me.

2. Lunera

Lunera Senior Member

There are different ways to be in good health. I don't really know Tai Chi Kong but I know different books that help you to feel better, it is as a self development.
    For instance you have Lise Bourbeau's books. She is Canadian (from Quebec) and she also has developed training courses.
    These books could look not really serious when you see their cover, but there are.

Or if you just want to relax, you have different exercices that you can do, at different times of the day.
    For instance, when you go to bed, you can relax yourself by breathing deeply, without thinking, you just focus your attention on your breathing. It is not really easy to concentrate only on the breathing, I think, but it's possible.
    You can do this during the day, taking 5 minutes for example, in your office, to do this "exercice".
  3. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

I've been getting into yoga thanks to the old wii fit, but to be honest I remember reading about a Chinese monk who explained that mediation isn't all about gentle breathing, clear of his favourite meditation methods was walking up a mountain, counting in his head but shouting. Sounded strange, but then I thought about it tried it, it is a very strange sensation.

The article continued to base itself around the idea that focus/clarity can be achieved in many many ways. Personally, give me my BMX and hip hop mix tape (Hip Hop Don't Stop : The Greatest: Various Artists, DJ Prime Cuts (Mixed by): Music - personal fav) and a flat piece of ground. Let the zen commence!
  4. Aarlev

Aarlev Member

OMG! I totally saw this coming with Jaz! :p

I've considered getting more into Yoga as well. I tried Hatha Yoga a few times and it was quite enjoyable. It's more based on the physical side of things though, and not so much the spiritual side. But healthy body, healthy mind and all that jaz(z) :p.

Sorry, can't help you with any books mate, but maybe just try to find a Tai Chi class in your area, and try it out to see if it's for you?

I believe Mike is right with the clarity thing though. Give me some turntables and a dope beat, and I can go into a trance scratching over it for hours. Pure zen! :D

Maybe Hip Hop is the way to enlightenment Mike? :) Awesome mixtape by the way! All the classics. Kurtis Blow - Breaks!! I've been looking for a 12" of that forever!
  5. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

hmmm, Kurtis Blow, I shall see if I can 'find' that digitally. There is something about hiphop, the beats, but the funk, you know, I think dance music can be too repetitive.

get on that soren!
  6. Jazajay

Jazajay Active Member

Aww cheers for the feedback peeps.
    Got any you would recommend?
    What do you think of them?
    Have you tried the meditation side of it?

I'm not stressed at all TBH, don't really live a life that would make me, and I'm too laid back/don't hold a grudge/don't take things personally well after 5 mins, if that makes sense, then to me like the others say the amount of exercise i do just takes my minimal levels, if any, down to nothing as thats my big thing. For me it's just the pure medical side effects of increasing my T-Cell count and my attitude that you should all ways try everything at least once regardless of how much of a prat you look doing it. :D

That to me makes perfect sense TBH, and Monks tend to live long lives I wonder why, meditation ups their T-Cells so makes them more resilient to disease, less pollutions etc...,etc.... :)

Aww I knew you would fella. :p
    Is Yoga classed as a type of meditation?
    I seriously lack knowledge in this area, but I have been thinking about taking up a martial art which Tia Chi is isn't it?
    So may do that. :)
  7. I used to Meditate when I played Rugby :) now I just Meditate once a week on Sunday evenings for an hour :) great way to completely relax at the end of the week :)
  8. Jazajay

Jazajay Active Member

Oooo how did you get in to it?
    Any books or other resources you would recommend?

As you can tell new subject so craving information. :)
  9. Aarlev

Aarlev Member

Ahh cheers Mike. I've got it on mp3 already, but I'm trying to collect all the oldschool classics on vinyl. I've got everything else, but I'm still looking for Kurtis Blow - Breaks and The Threacherous Three - Feel The Heartbeat. I've been digging for them for ages in all the vinyl pushers I could find in London. Sometimes they don't have a clue, and they'll sell you really rare records for a few quid :). Might have to get them online and pay a premium. :(

There's definitely something about Hip Hop. I love all 4 elements, but I'm more of a beat junkie and scratch nerd. Was into graff for about 10 years as well, but haven't got the balls for it anymore, so just do legal walls the odd time. I do love rap as well when it's good. Love all the stuff MF Doom (or whatever his name is these days :)) comes out with, really different and abstract stuff..brilliant. Really love Boom Bap and the 90's golden age sound as well. Stuff like Gangstarr - Daily Operation. That kind of social commentary style is cool. We need more of that nowadays instead of all this Souljah Boy and Lil' wayne type of commercial ****! :down:

Ok I'm rambling now, sorry Jaz! :)
  10. Jazajay

Jazajay Active Member

O don't worry Aarlev as soon as I saw Mikes first post I had a good idea where this was going to end up, and that was not meditation. It is the DF's way after all so no need to apologize fella. :D
  11. I'll be honest Jaz, there was a Buddhist group over in Auckland and they came and gave the Rugby teams Meditation lessons. It was all about breathing for us and controlling your breathing and letting go of your mind and letting it wander, very similar to sensory deprivation (which I highly recommend if you ever want to really meditate). :)
  12. Aarlev

Aarlev Member

Some types of Yoga are purely spiritual and involve a lot of meditation. Mostly the traditional types of Yoga that originated in India. What we know as Yoga in the west is mostly Hatha Yoga, which is much more physically orientated, but still trying to use physical excersises to achieve purification of the mind.

I think Tai Chi is classified officially as a Martial Art, but I'm not sure.
  13. Jazajay

Jazajay Active Member

Right then off to my local Budda centre then. :)
    So do you do sensory deprivation much?
    What does that include?

I have to admit fella you are looking more attractive since last time I logged on here. :D
    But wkd cheers for lesson. :)

So would you recommend Hatha Yoga then?
  14. Sensory Deprivation i've only done a few times... in what way do you mean what does that include?

I would most definitely recommend talking to your local Buddhist Temple / Group as they are great at Meditation :)
  15. Lunera

Lunera Senior Member

My mother pratice meditation. She learnt many things with "The Experience of Insight" book. In this book, the author talk about his own experience, when he discovered Buddhism and started to practice meditation. This book propose exercices to start meditation for people who were born in occidental countries. According to my mother this book is very good to begin meditation and is easy to understand.

The Experience of Insight: Simple and Direct Guide to Buddhist Meditation
    by Joseph Goldstein
    -->The Experience of Insight: Simple and Direct Guide to Buddhist Meditation Shambala dragon editions: Joseph Goldstein: Books
  16. Jazajay

Jazajay Active Member

Not a bad idea fella, I will have a look actually. : )

Aww wkd cheers I'll have a look at it when I have some more time.

Cheers peeps. :)
  17. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

I am currently still sucked in by Qtip's last album and atmosphere's when life gives you lemons. However I went on a hunt a found a few of the scratch perverts mixes after this inspiring little chat as well!

We should start a thread, Mike and Soren talk hip hop. (xmas)
  18. CarmaCreative

CarmaCreative Member

Could also try Shiatsu for a positive energy release..
  19. Tom Sound

Tom Sound Active Member

yeah, they're well cute

20. Jazajay

Jazajay Active Member

I'll take my dirty mind away from this convo Tom and take it thats not what he means by positive energy release, :lol:

I take it it's a form of meditation?
    Can you explain it further? :)