Matreials for making scale models?

Nstocks

Hi,

I'm looking for some iknd of material that has the same properties of paperboard : can be bent and retain it shape without breaking.

I've made a ' tent ' design from paperboard but I also need to make it from other materials but not got a clue where to get them.

I've visited a few websites but they don't show images of plastics, and the model shops don't well what I want.

Thank you.

you even considered speaking to your tutor as THEY WILL HAVE A LIST OF LOCAL STORES where you should be able to buy stock for any aspect of your course, that's assuming they don't actually have any on campus in a stock room or store. Most stores will also be willing to use your student discount cards from the student union etc

Yep we ALL asked out tutor where we can get materials. She listed two ( didn't even know their proper names and streets ). Myself and 3 other student didn't find what we wanted so I looked online...

Is there even anything on the market that I want , that exsists? Do you understand what I mean ?

She said that she doesn't want us to come in Monday and say " We couldn't find the materials etc "... I'm really fed up with her, as it the rest of the group :(

Is finnboard just like paperboard ? i.e similar to cerial boxes ?

At bottom of page ; 4D modelshop's model making guides

" Finnboard can also be bent into curves (whilst wet) and will retain the curve once dry. "

It actually says it's pulped paper, but this is similar to what i want... only plastic

Theres a white foamboard, that and corrugated cardboard are the only thing I can come up with from your description, its basically polystyrene with a very thin plastic on the top and bottom.

the rest of the site might have some other options.
If your tutor is that rubbish you can file a complaint to the head of your department, although nothing will probably happen

I have foam board, but that will be too thick for my model.

I will post a picture of the model, though excuse the writing over it... My uni are strict with pilgarism etc ( as are most ).

Attachments

• N.Stocks.jpg
    N.Stocks.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 11
yeah showing your work doesn't have an issue with plagiarism, it's the copying of other peoples work where that comes into play when at uni.

you could do fibreglass/resin and mesh but its a bit overkill.

That's what I mean :p.

Fiberglass :S Never worked with that and it's a bit much for the first model. I just need something other than card to model it... Would finn board be any good ?

I wouldn't know off the top of my head, I normally worked with plastic, metal and CAD :)

Would there be any plastics the would be flexible enough ? Mouldable plastic, or sheet that can be moulded ?

Sorry I'm new !

if you haven't been taught about them then you probably don't need tot be using them.
As to flexible, well yeah theres this thing called a heat strip which you can bend plastic on, you can always melt things down although don't see the point, just use fibreglass/resin etc.

Nstocks said:
Would there be any plastics the would be flexible enough ? Mouldable plastic, or sheet that can be moulded ?

Sorry I'm new !

We print onto a 300 micron plastic film which might do the trick. It'll keep a folded edge but will curve nicely too. It won't hold a curve unless fixed, if that makes sense.

If it sounds any good, PM me your address and how much you need I'll stick some in the post to you.

Tom

I would use thin aluminium - bend it to whatever shape you like but it'll hold its form... or just thick card, like business card material.

heatstrip + some thermo setting plastic would do the job.

you couldn't find plastic, that link I gave you had it for starters and thers plenty of arts and crafts type sites that sell it too, I've seen some while I was looking for some water based marker pens.

I may have found plastic but the sites I went on didn't have images, or they would take a fee days to deliver, that's why I may have dismissed it of not finding it earlier. I only typed in " plastic " on the link you gave me, and it came up with one item, hb rubber or something but I'm on my iPhone and haven't searched properley.

Hopefully the metal idea will work but I've already made a different model out or wood which looks really good ( I'm not refering to the model I wish to construct from metal, as this would be very hard to make from wood... It's a completley different design. Will post images later.

Nstocks said:
I've been looking for plastic all over ! I went to B&Q today and found 3mm and 5mm sheet metal. I think that If I make a wooden profile to cut my shapes, then slightly heat the metal, it should bend to the shape I need, and retain it's shape.

Any tips for sheet metal bending ?

Here's the metal I was thinking of. Galvanised Steel Panel Steel Coloured (L)500mm x (W)250mm, 3232636005006

You wont need to heat it, especially if its thin - you could use steel (like 1mm) but as I said get aluminum its easier to work as its softer. To bend it just clamp something straight where u want the bend (ie some wood) and with the ally mounted on some other wood (so it doesnt bend all funny) bend along the crease.

Also if you score the metal it'll "want" to bend along it so you get more control.

really bad drawing attached: black squares = blocks of wood, blue line = sheet metal, red = clamps/screws anything

Attachments

• lol1.jpg
    lol1.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 6
  • lol2.jpg
    lol2.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 4
Nstocks said:
I may have found plastic but the sites I went on didn't have images, or they would take a fee days to deliver, that's why I may have dismissed it of not finding it earlier. I only typed in " plastic " on the link you gave me, and it came up with one item, hb rubber or something but I'm on my iPhone and haven't searched properley.

Hopefully the metal idea will work but I've already made a different model out or wood which looks really good ( I'm not refering to the model I wish to construct from metal, as this would be very hard to make from wood... It's a completley different design. Will post images later.
it doesn't just go under plastic, it goes under acrylic too, don't school's and universities teach anything these days :confused:
link

thin perspex could be used but you would need loads of thermo tools to get a good finish.

you could buy loads of those translucent plastic ring binders and sclapel the shape out as that material can do simple bends quite well and also has some good colours you could possibly iron the folds if you put a piece of paper or two between iron and plastic

Does anybody know where I can find small rivets, possibly screw fixing ones, if they exist ? I've searched google but not really found a good store. Attached is a image of what it should look like. Th size is about 3mm wide and 10mm long approx., but if I can find a screw one then I can adjust it more.

Thank you

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-11-19 at 21.46.03.jpg
    Screen shot 2009-11-19 at 21.46.03.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 1
Back