Making white background transparent

TomStutt

Hi all

I have a logo that I was given by a client and it has a white background. Is there a way of changing the white to transparent?

Cheers Tom

What format is it in Tom?
Sounding like your best bet is to vectorize it, if they don't have it in a vector format already?

Hi Greg,

Its a jpg. It doesnt have to be transparent, I just want the background not to be white, so if I could change the colour would help.

Best way would be to make a clipping mask/path I'd think.
If you need a hand drop me a PM/email (gregATdesignforums.co.uk)

Yip i agree with greg mask is your best option mate. i get jpeg logos all the time.......they are a right pain at time.lol

If it's high quality you could vectorise: Illustrator -> Live Trace and clean up straight edges.

If not I'd drop into Photoshop and remove background/clean up. At least you have a lossless format then.

Thanks for all your help. Live trace in illustrator didnt work as it only picked up some of the image and photoshop is too time consuming. I only wanted it to be a quick thing.

i might just try to change the white background to the colour i want.

thanks all

Try adjusting the settings for live trace, or failing that the good old magic wand tool in PS with varying tolerance might help you for a quick visual or something?

Back