Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making white background transparent

Discussion in 'Logo Design & Brand Identity Forum:' started by TomStutt, Oct 14, 2010.

1. TomStutt

TomStutt Senior Member

Hi all

I have a logo that I was given by a client and it has a white background. Is there a way of changing the white to transparent?

Cheers Tom
  2. Greg

Greg Active Member

What format is it in Tom?
    Sounding like your best bet is to vectorize it, if they don't have it in a vector format already?
  3. TomStutt

TomStutt Senior Member

Hi Greg,

Its a jpg. It doesnt have to be transparent, I just want the background not to be white, so if I could change the colour would help.
  4. Greg

Greg Active Member

Best way would be to make a clipping mask/path I'd think.
    If you need a hand drop me a PM/email (
  5. mick_mccabe

mick_mccabe Member

Yip i agree with greg mask is your best option mate. i get jpeg logos all the time.......they are a right pain at
  6. If it's high quality you could vectorise: Illustrator -> Live Trace and clean up straight edges.

If not I'd drop into Photoshop and remove background/clean up. At least you have a lossless format then.
  7. mick_mccabe

mick_mccabe Member

Yip you could do that. i work in a printers and the software i use in here is corel draw. bad times indeed
  8. I feel your pain. When I worked inhouse I always insisted on working in Illy!
  9. TomStutt

TomStutt Senior Member

Thanks for all your help. Live trace in illustrator didnt work as it only picked up some of the image and photoshop is too time consuming. I only wanted it to be a quick thing.

i might just try to change the white background to the colour i want.

thanks all
  10. Greg

Greg Active Member

Try adjusting the settings for live trace, or failing that the good old magic wand tool in PS with varying tolerance might help you for a quick visual or something?
  11. TomStutt

TomStutt Senior Member

Hi Greg

It worked a treat using the good old magic wand. Thanks for all your help everyone. :)