making a "hole in an object"

philjohns

Ok wierd qestion...my minds gone blank and Im SURE its possible...

I have a picture of a man (like on a toilet door) and want to make a "hole" in his body out of words so that he is solid but the hole spells a word etc etc.

Its difficult to explain so ill upload a picture but any ideas on how i can do it?

Thanks,

Phil

see attachment - i need the white text to be a "hole" in the man so it can be printed as one colour...

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 21
I err (probably do it the wrong way, but it works). select the man and the text. click 'trim' on the pathfinder palette. then right-click > ungroup, and delete the white bit :|

Lol i do it a similar way to becky but it also works for me, i just tried it. Select the man and text, then click minus front (pathfinder)

That looks right to me, you won't know if its worked cos its just white behind try putting a gradient box behind to see if it has worked. However, that is just one colour ain't it, 'cos white is paper?! :confused:

Yeh, basically i need just the black to be an object and not the lettering. Cos its for a one colour tshirt design....if you understand where im coming from.

This is really bugging me as there is know way that this design is possible if i cant manage it...

Put the text on to the man. Then use magic wand to select each letter.
Than move back to the original illustration layer and delete.

exactly that..... i think

if this works i will be so appreciative...i think i need a step by step though...it still doesnt seem to work...

philjohns said:
exactly that..... i think

if this works i will be so appreciative...i think i need a step by step though...it still doesnt seem to work...

Step by step can help you if yer like. It really is a simple process.:)

step by step would be good. im sure ive got to be doing something wrong.

do i need the text as outlines yeh? and on a seperate layer to the man?

text as outlines, sep layer not necessary, just select the man and the text and click on this button

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 6
Yes, the text has to be on a different layer.
Highlight the text with the wand THEN switch back to your main illustration layer.
The wand outline will now be on the main illustration .....press delete to punch that fella out.
Sorted.

Cant get that to work typo but thanks a lot anyway.

Allyallys way has worked a treat though! thanks guys! SAVIOURS!

Back