MailChimp

PinkFish

I wonder if anyone can help?! I have a client that wants to use mail chimp so I need to supply him an HTML file to use. Do I have to use dream weaver or is there an easier way to do this? (I don't have a copy of DW).
Help!

What exactly do they want in HTML? MailChimp has ready made templates you can edit without changing code. To answer your question, you can write the code yourself in notepad if you know HTML, which is probably a better solution than using Dreamweaver or another WYSIWYG code editor.

Thanks for the reply. I have a leaflet done already in PSD that they want to use on mail chimp, so I guess this means me using dreamweaver to convert to a HTML. I don't know any coding so notepad is a no. I need a simple and quick way! I'm guessing designing it the email in Mailchimp is going to be easier then?

I would imagine editing it in MailChimp would be the easiest option if you don't know HTML, though whether you could get something that looks exactly like your PSD with their options is something you'd have to test.

Another option is to simply include your design as an image and send it via a MailChimp list, but this isn't the best option since images tend to be blocked in email clients by default.

A third option is to play around with the MailChimp editor and perhaps tweak your design into something you can achieve with their editor and run it past your client again.

Thanks for the reply. I have a leaflet done already in PSD that they want to use on mail chimp, so I guess this means me using dreamweaver to convert to a HTML. I don't know any coding so notepad is a no. I need a simple and quick way! I'm guessing designing it the email in Mailchimp is going to be easier then?

You need to work out any 'slice' lines in Photoshop and then save 'for web and devices' making sure to include both HTML and images. Then change your paths for the images to include wherever you are intending to host them on the web and upload your HTML to MailChimp. Send a test email to make sure it all works and off you go. No need for Dreamweaver as you should use tables and inline styles for email shots. Try this for a quick guide; How to Properly Optimize and Slice Your Emails for the Web Like a Pro | Inbox Junky Hope that helps. P.S. Never, ever build a website this way :icon_wink:

You need to work out any 'slice' lines in Photoshop and then save 'for web and devices' making sure to include both HTML and images. Then change your paths for the images to include wherever you are intending to host them on the web and upload your HTML to MailChimp. Send a test email to make sure it all works and off you go. No need for Dreamweaver as you should use tables and inline styles for email shots. Try this for a quick guide; How to Properly Optimize and Slice Your Emails for the Web Like a Pro | Inbox Junky Hope that helps. P.S. Never, ever build a website this way :icon_wink:

Ok that sounds pretty easy! Any suggestions on where to host the images for free?!

Ok that sounds pretty easy! Any suggestions on where to host the images for free?!

Not that is going to be reliable enough for this or that mail clients aren't going to assume is spam. Can't you host them on your client's web server?

Not that is going to be reliable enough for this or that mail clients aren't going to assume is spam. Can't you host them on your client's web server?

Hes a takeaway restaurant so no good! Can you host images on Dropbox? Sorry I'm new to this hence I haven't a clue! Thanks for your help :icon_smile:

Hes a takeaway restaurant so no good! Can you host images on Dropbox? Sorry I'm new to this hence I haven't a clue! Thanks for your help :icon_smile:

No you can't host them in dropbox. You need a reliable web server where there is no chance that it has been blacklisted (which some free hosts do quite often). You might be able to get round this in MailChimp itself by using the image upload option; How do I upload and edit images? | MailChimp.com but how easy/frustrating/successful that might be I have no idea. Whenever I have used MailChimp I've either hosted images for my own designs on our (or the customer's) web hosting or just used their built in templates and uploaded images to that. Another option might be hosting them somewhere like Facebook but, again, no idea what pitfalls that might bring!

Are you sure they don't have any hosting for running emails or anything like that? Seems miraculous that they have a mailing list without anywhere to sign up :icon_wink:

I would usually set up a template in Mailchimp and host the images on my web server in folder for the client.
If you don't know html though you would need to use mailchimps out of the box templates and edit them.

Back