Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MacLehose Press Book Competition makes me mad!

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by davewill, Mar 7, 2013.

1. davewill

davewill Senior Member

Dunno how many of you have seen this but MacLehose Press are running a competition asking desingners to submit book cover designs for 5 of their books...
    • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
    • Brodeck’s Report by Philippe Claudel
    • Heaven and Hell by Jón Kalman Stefánsson
    • An Atlas of Impossible Longing by Anuradha Roy
    • Beauty and the Inferno by Roberto Saviano
    The "prize" is a £1000 travel bursary, plus 4 runners up will get £250 travel bursary. I received an email asking me if I was interested in taking part and its really wound me up.
    Not only are they expecting people to work for free, but there is no guarantee that the winners design will even get used on the book, plus their not even paying the winner in cash!! Ive just tweeted them to register my disapointment. The way I see it, they could use the £2000 they're spending on prizes and just pay a good designer to do a proper job. This kind of spec work is always bad, but Ive never seen one so bad as this!
    Feel free to tweet them some grief at @maclehosepress
    Im sure it wont stop the competition but it may raise awareness that this is downright wrong.
    Evitoetty likes this.
  2. thats really dissapointing from a publisher.. but not unheard of.. I've worked for many publishers and they all try to get something for nothing (one I worked for did a competition for all the artwork in a childrens book.. the winner got.. their artwork in a published book... and their name on it, in very small print)..