mac mac mac

TomStutt

Hi all,

I want to get a Mac. never used one so i dont want to spend alot. I want a second hand one then if i like it and get used to using it then i might invest in a nice new one.

where would you suggest getting one and what is a good one to get as a starter. prefrebly i would like a laptop style one and not a desktop style one but it depends on the price

cheers

go to the apple store.

they'll talk you through everything, and there are a lot of people who do web and graphic design like us :)

^ THIS DOES NOT MEAN SPEND YOUR MONEY

for design usage btw or for general internet/microsoft office usage?

you'd be looking at a MBP for best results.

^ in the FUTURE. yeah?

i'd say at least 250gb hd with 2/4gb ram, dependent on preference (as some people dont wnat 4gb but it is more future proof and obviously means you can handle more tasks).

what i want at the moment is a starter mac. something second hand that isnt going to cost alot. then in time i might splash out on one

I'd look at intel macbooks or imacs on ebay as a start they should do the job and be a reasonable price.

Be careful of Tim he's on commission

Forget laptops, they aren't powerful or fast enough to do decent design work.
A second hand imac is what you need.
Don't forget the software!

i am not on commission, no one is! :( :p

oh look, a joke.

Forget laptops, they aren't powerful or fast enough to do decent design work.
A second hand imac is what you need.
Don't forget the software!

MBPs have upto 3.06GHz processor, 8GB RAM and 500GB HD...? same as iMacs except they have 1TB HD.

Not to mention all those specs aren't used in the same way a PC does. Due to busses, heating issues, alignment etc. so it wont be as powerful (Mind you it would do the job)

Why do you feel you need higher end machines to do design work?

If photoshop + browser + (For arguements sake) text editor + 2 other programs can be open and run fine, wouldnt it suffice?

@Tim - read Tom's initial post, your getting over excited... (the commission bit was sarcasim)

I want to get a Mac. never used one so i dont want to spend alot. I want a second hand one then if i like it and get used to using it then i might invest in a nice new one.

Why do you feel you need higher end machines to do design work?

i dont, but they're a lot more responsive- straight back at you. no pussy footing around, it's just done.

also, 13" is a bit tiny for design work, i find it frustrating sometimes that i have to squeeze everything into one window, hence me buying the 15" MBP.

i wasnt ever saying that he should go spend a billion quid, i was simply saying what may be relelvant in the future.

i think you're taking things too srsly, all of you.

mac minis Mac mini - Apple Store (U.K.) aren't that expensive, and if you monitors, keyboards... Tim, no one ever suggests these are they gay or something.

Tom, I still use one of the first generation macbooks, it is getting a little slow now, but still works wonderfully. A friend of mine bought a second hand powerbook g4 the other day, that neck of the woods is nothing to complain about either.

I've still got an emac somewhere aswell!

tim said:
nah people just think they're ****e because of the spec. 1GB ram etc.

I agree that the spec aint up to much, but as an introduction, it might be an alright line to go for

I've got an iMac that i hadly ever use as i'm always on this laptop (MacBook Pro) wonder if I should sell my old iMac? hmmm

I have a Hp Pavillion 3gb ram 450gb amd dual core or something of hardrive i can have flash photoshop and illustrator running all smoothly at the same time and also be surfing the net, id love a mac but they are dead pricey, but if you have one its heaven :)

Get an iMac 24" - they are expensive, but worth it. Max out the specs and you get a really sweet computer that will last you a long time. Frankly, I suggest getting it new & with the apple protection pack.
3 Main points to keep in mind:
Dont bother with the Wireless Mighty Mouse -it fails within months, and it has a very bad right click functionality which i cant imagine living without.
Its just crap (in many ways)
the wireless keyboard is awesome.
you can configure the mac very easily to have a right click if you didnt know this already

for my PC to Mac transfer, these helped

I spent £1400 on my mac, and tbh i see it as a financially sound investment when comparing myself to my friends computer repair bills/antivirus subscriptions/extra peripherals and so forth.

Back