Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Louis Theroux - Law & Disorder

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by Greg, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Greg

Greg Active Member

Hey guys,

Did anyone get a chance to watch the first in Louis Theroux's new series called Law & Disorder? I watched it on the iPlayer yesterday as I'm a big fan of Louis Theroux and have always found his programmes and interview style really interesting, this series is following the most violent cities in the States.

The first episode was looking at drugs and gun crime in Philladelphia or 'Killadelphia' as a local called it, it looked seriously messed up! nobody had any form of respect for the police, everyone seemed to have a gun and during filming the episode there was 2 homicides.
  2. Aarlev

Aarlev Member

Wicked! I wasn't even aware that there's a new series of Louis Theroux out! I think he is absolutely brilliant! I know what I'll be doing tonight now :).

Did you watch the "weekends" ones? The one with the maniacs from Idaho who's convinced that the UN is going to attack them is so funny! :lol:

His interview style is really great. He almost comes across as being a bit dim and I think that makes people relax and open up to him.
  3. Greg

Greg Active Member

I saw an advert on BBC2 for the new series I think, it's being shown on BBC2 at 9pm on Sundays, then on iPlayer for 2 weeks after it's been on TV.

I saw some of the Weird Weekends ones, don't remember that one though! Did you see the wrestling one where he went off to the training camp to be a wrestler?! and they made him physically sick through the workouts?!

Yeah I agree, people do seem to feel more comfortable with him, he gets away with asking some quite risky question in certain situations and usually gets quite an open response. There's some sections in this first Law & Disorder one where the police have said to him he won't get any response from this 'drugs lord' but he goes off anyway and ends up having a 5 minute interview with the guy!
  4. red tiger

red tiger Member

Have just seen this on iPlayer and thought it was absolutely amazing. A real gritty, honest insight into the situation out there. I think the crucial part of the programme was the views from all sides - the police, offenders and the ones caught up in the middle.

Wouldn't have seen this without catching this post so thanks ;)

5. Greg

Greg Active Member

No problems Alex :) good to hear you enjoyed it like I did.

The one thing I would have liked to have seen would have been for Louis to follow a smaller set of guys around for the duration, so whether that was a few of the drugs guys, or just a couple of police officers, so he could have really got to know a few of them a bit better, but I'm guessing that wouldn't have been all that safe! Looking forward to seeing the next episode now..
  6. Gaz

Gaz Member

I watched it, was interesting, and I felt sorry for the cow. lol. Want to watch the next one now which looks dodgy. lol
  7. Greg

Greg Active Member

Yes the poor cow that had to graze on the little bit of derelict land and all the cans 'Red' had left behind! It didn't look like it had eaten for months!
  8. br3n

br3n Senior Member

I watched that, to me.. its a different world.

He must have such a bad view of the human race, the people he meets are out and out extreme whatever the scenario.

Did you see the "christian" cult people who protest at soldiers funerals because they are supporting a country which allows homosexuality? I honestly dont understand how people can be so rediculously stupid. infact its disgraceful.
  9. Greg

Greg Active Member

Yeah I remember seeing that one, I think his previous series' are now available on DVD, so might try and get hold of them as would be good to watch them again now. That particular episode was crazy, were they were protesting with banners on the way to the funeral, it goes beyond disgraceful! and yes it must be a really difficult job to be in that position and leave your own emotions aside to report on that kind of story!
  10. br3n

br3n Senior Member

Hes very good at his job though, Manages to convey his opinion which is usually the opposite of the people he meets (as it would be for most people) but in a way which doesnt offend them.

I enjoy watching his documentaries and believe there is a follow-up to this episode, still law and order based in Johannesburg.

07 Dec 2008, 21:00 on BBC Two
    BBC - BBC Two Programmes - Louis Theroux, Law and Disorder in Johannesburg
  11. Greg

Greg Active Member

Yeah I completely agree, he has a great technique and as mentioned earlier in the thread his approach of appearing to be a bit slow on the uptake and using the language and body language he does gets people to open up and say a bit more than they usually would.

Yep this one is a full series :D really looking forward to watching the next one now!
  12. Greg

Greg Active Member

Did anyone catch the J'Burg episode last night? It just confirmed how crazy Louis is when he went into the hijacked building that had no electricity with the Bad Boyz security racket! :eek:
  13. Gaz

Gaz Member

Lol yeh was good, bet you could see some real dodgy goings on out there!
  14. br3n

br3n Senior Member

I feel so sorry for the people living there - like they said, theres nothing they can do - the police are so currupt everyone has to take it into their own hands.

That bloke saying he would put someones kid in the microwave to get some money out of them should have been shot right there and then - in the spirit of the vigilante movement of course.
  15. Gaz

Gaz Member

Yeh what a nob he was.
  16. tim

tim Senior Member

I watched Louis Theroux's stuff. Some stuff really freaks me out tho.

One time he spoke to some people in Johannesburg and they'd just come out of prison. They went through the ways they'd force people to give them their cars, money, etc. The leader guy said he'd hold a knife to the victim's wife/girlfriend's throat and make them bleed to show they were being serious.

How screwed up do you have to be to do that?
  17. Jazajay

Jazajay Active Member

Yeah I know I actually watched it after reading this thread, and the J'burg one made me feel so happy to live in the UK and that's another country that I'm never going to go to.

Lets see which country I will add to the list on his next episode hay, lol.
  18. Greg

Greg Active Member

I think most countries have their bad parts, but yes the locations featured in these programmes are the extremes of 'bad parts'!

I think that's it for this 'series', it turns out it was just a few one-off episodes, it's a shame, would have enjoyed watching more!
  19. Jazajay

Jazajay Active Member

O yeah definatly I watched the re-run of the Detroit episode, again amazing stuff.

He should do a contrast episode where he goes down to the east end and just shows how "peaceful" our gun and kinfe culture is in comparsion. :)

Mad, mad stuff.
  20. br3n

br3n Senior Member

Dont be put off jazzajay - south africa has a huge amount of offer and thats only the slum part they feature, brazil and most other countries would be the same.