Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking to make a sort of collage, could do with some advise

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by Turtletom, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Turtletom

Turtletom Junior Member

Hey there
    I was wondering if anyone could help us out I have been given just a rectangular photo frame but would look to make some sort of collage/jigsaw piece look but will be printing photos out at different sizes and either cutting to random shapes and make a collage on probably some a3 paper and stick them at different angles and possibly lap some over each over but either way where joins or laps over are going to be they will be clearly visible so was thinking maybe use hot glue and sort of bead all round the joins or failing that I'm toting with the idea of doing like a jigsaw design so again print photos and then get some jigsaw templates and cut the photos to shape but again when I stick this down to paper the joins will show so again maybe use White hot glue gun to make the design stand out I am doing it for my partner and will be filling it with photos of our son and a photo of the three of us in the middle

Also if I do jigsaw design is there a bit of pc software that I set the size and fill a blank canvas then print it so photos can overlap in the joins if that makes sense

Any help would be really appreciated

2. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

any chance you could maybe take a breath in that sentence somewhere... or perhaps split the big block of text into more than one sentence...or make more than one sentence out of that part of your post :up:

3. Turtletom

Turtletom Junior Member

Need some help with a collage please?
    Hello there I was wondering if anyone could help us I am going to make a collage with some photos and frame it but what I want to know is So that the overlay is not visible in the frame I was going to bead it with hot glue this will also emphasise the photos I hope. But would like some advice on this

4. Levi

do you reckon you could manage a post which include full stops and paragraphs....

5. Turtletom

Turtletom Junior Member

Really, thought this was a design forum not about grammar?! I am pretty sure you can get the general idea!, and really you "Levi" have put yourself out twice to make a post but not actually been off any assistance. I am registered elsewhere now maybe they have more helpful active members.

6. Levi

we need to be able to read the post in question, we can not read what you are posting. Why do you think no one else has posted anything.... it's because they can't read the post clearly

7. Wardy

Wardy Active Member

In Levi's defence, your post is not very clear.

It seems like you want to make a photo collage or montage. If you have design software, there are plenty of tutorials out there. I'm sure there are even companies who will do it for you if you send them your photos.

If you are doing it by hand, you need a craft knife, a ruler, spraymount and card to stick them all on to. If you're clever, you can use the edges of one photo to use as a template to cut into another one without having to overlap it. Simples!

8. Turtletom

Turtletom Junior Member

Hey there

Yes I have got a wooden photo frame.
    Which I would like to do some sort of design inside.

I have got a 6 month old son so was going to make a sort of collage, of his last 6 months then in the middle have a photo of the family.
    I was thinking about getting some a3 paper and gluing the photos to this.

I was thinking about cutting the photos out different shapes and sizes, then overlapping each other.
    My only concern I had is that this would be visible through the glass frame, so was going to use some sort of coloured hot glue. And go over all the joins so it weren't as obvious.

Like you said I could cut them to shape and fit beside one and other, though this would be quite a challenge to get it looking the same.

I appreciate this can be done via a company (probably printed direct on a3 photo paper) but it is not the same effect and to be perfectly honest I haven't got the money in which it would cost to get it done professionally

Thankyou for the reply I hope this is easier to read and understand than previous posts sorry if spelling is bad I am currently using iPhone to write this and it uses spell prediction.

9. Scott_Rafferty

Scott_Rafferty Junior Member

Hi there, If I was going to be doing this I would start by roughly sorting the photos into background colours ( Dark light lighter etc).
    I would then do as you said and cut out the photos and make shapes with them, but also making sure that the darker ones be at the back of the collage and getting lighter photos on top of them. This will also highlight a delightful family photo in the middle regardless of colour.

With regards to your problem about the joins being seen, Put a dark coloured piece of paper down onto the wood before the photos. Then when you put the Darkest photos onto that The joins will be hidden. Also the lighter photos will not matter about the joins as it will bring them out more and make it look more 3D.

Hope this helps.

10. yellowdog

yellowdog Member

I commend your patience in telling someone how to hand make a collage. You've pretty much covered the basics but if he wants to go advanced I would suggest getting hold of this bad boy.