Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking to get stuck in to the amazing world of design

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum:' started by CJoQ, Aug 16, 2013.

1. CJoQ

CJoQ New Member

Hi there,

No design background. Unable to draw free hand with any skill whatsoever and historically more of a 'wordy' person, I come here as a blank canvas looking to take on significant learnings from designers and perhaps even beginning learning some new skills over time.

My priority here is to understand what, you as a designer, does and how you do it. I am fascinated by the ability of an infographic or image to really 'say a 1000 words' or have another effect.

Key areas of interest are:
    • Basic designer 'terminology' or 'lingo'
    • Infographics - how they are made and what goes through a designers mind when they decide to use certain shapes / signs / representations
    • Software for getting started with design and first steps
    • Data visualisations
    • How people translate what could be lots of text into a graphic
    • Relationship between designers' by hand abilities compared to computer based abilities
    These are my initial, key questions that I look forward to answering and the adventure of learning something completely new.

Any steer from anyone on where and how to start would be fantastic.

Many thanks,

ARRIVALS Well-Known Member

Hi there, welcome to the forum.

It sounds like you pretty much want to know what most design students learn in their first year on a design course? Would that not be a better thing to do?
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
    Paul Murray and Corrosive like this.
  3. CJoQ

CJoQ New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome! Perhaps I will look into that option when I take a year or so off from working.