Looking for critique for assignment purposes..if time

Hey Susan,

Logo's are a funny old thing.
People (especially in the creative community) can get pretty excited, offended or pretty much everything in-between about them.
Look at some of the debates surrounding Olympic logos for instance.

I'd say it's one of, if not the hardest things for a Designer to to.
Some briefs read like a story listing core values, mission statements and stuff like that which are all supposed to be represented by a symbol.
Yes there are a lot of boring, generic and ugly logos around but also a lot that are pure genius.
These are usually the simple ones.

The very first thing I was taught at my first day of college was "K.I.S.S"
Keep It Simple Stupid (Last "S" may have been Shit-head but I'm not sure). ;)

This is something I remind myself of daily and was probably the most important thing I did learn.
Also it's easy to think that you can skip right to the computer to start with.
In most cases it's better to start with pencil and paper and just doodle down ideas, pick the best ones, refine them and then go to the computer.
You don't need to be very good at drawing to do this as it's the idea or concept you're looking to create.
It's easy to jump in and type some text out and then start dropping effects on there but you may find that the concept isn't there and you just end up polishing a turd.
I find that the clever effects that you can add digitally would be used VERY sparingly as it can look extremely amateurish.
I think every designer did this with "Lend Flare" at some point.

Another thing I learned was that it's better to make a logo in black and white first (silhouette).
Yet again, "K.I.S.S".

Do your research.
Look at logo sites like LogoPond.
Get Pinterest and start making boards of what appeals to you.
Look at them and try to work out why they do appeal to you.

I have to compliment you on being able to take constructive criticism as this is essential as a Designer.
Many can't and many fail.

Keep going. That's what separates the wheat from the chaff.

Thanks Scotty. I needed to hear that.
I agree with you and Hank that I need to sketch first and tow the line regarding vital steps in the process. As with every creative endeavor, the prep work is everything and something I skip often. Even when painting interiors I paint over stains and cobwebs etc...cant be bothered washing and cleaning the walls first :)
Your suggestion re pineterest is very helpful.
Anyway it is a positive sign that my first attempts make me cringe now and I wish I had never made them public. Am gonna show some discipline from now on and not post anything until I have been at it for at least 4 weeks , do the prep, then cut out the dross etc..
And as a beginner i must not get carried away when I learn a new tool...fatal mistake. Best to assume everything is sh'yte until otherwise proven
My next assignment appears to be illustration for a book cover...thank Christ for that!

No worries Susan. :D

I'm just glad you took it constructively.
I often skip right to my Mac and I have to remind myself I missed a step.

I also look back at by work and think "WTF!" :O
The fact you cringe shows you've grown and improved.

DO NOT regret posting your work.
A lot of the regular, seasoned pro's in the forum wouldn't have the balls to do that.
Sometimes the criticism can sound harsh, even insulting but that's just how it goes but it's meant constructively and meant to help although it's easy to doubt that at the time. ;).

At college we used to have regular "crit's" and I was horrified at first.
I know now they were to harden us up.
My advice to my niece (who studied design) was "to get on in this industry you need to grow a broad pair of shoulders".

Don't be afraid to post your ideas as some guidance may help.
Recently someone came to the forum with a very mediocre logo design.
He had the usual "baptism of fire" but stuck at it and kept posting.
Within a week or so he had an awesome logo.
He wasn't even a Designer. o_O

May I ask what course you're doing?
They really should be teaching you these fundamentals right now.

Keep at it Susan.
It's obvious you want to learn and you'll do well for that.

The course is online via an Australian institution. I was in Australia when I decided to change careers. If I mention their name I feel sure they will appear here ( as happened in another forum some years ago). I stumbled across it one day after enrolling ( unfortunately)
It is a private online college. We pay $80 pw. In retrospect a Lynda.com course from start to finish would have been cheaper and more informative but this course is non refundable. Now I am paying for both as the course is inadequate.
They have restructured things somewhat since I enrolled last May. They received lots of complaints. Their ebook is outdated; many links they suggest no longer exist. Assessors keep resigning and there is no one to review our work except when we hand it in as an assignment; only then do we get feedback. One guy formed a face book group so we can offer each other support and help in deciphering a very badly constructed learning schedule. However we are all beginners there and very polite :) . We don't know how to critique , really. We all know the course is a joke, and sometimes manage to laugh about it.
For our stop motion animation ( basic learning) we were recommended adobe flash! ..doesn't even exist anymore. It took me two weeks to find a site I could follow...etc...etc.. I settled on premier pro. But I learned after my efforts that most students downloaded an app and churned out amazing stop-motion animations..:rolleyes:
I could go on forever. The animation was landed on us out of the blue, tagged on to the end of an assignment supposedly aimed at kicking our right /left brains into balance. There was no rhyme or reason to hit us with it, in my opinion.
Anyway I squeezed a year extension out of them for free :) They advertise this course as a 10hr per week part-time course!! This is misleading for a start and many people who enrolled, work and have kids , are struggling and overwhelmed in trying to learn everything in a short frame of time. I work too ( in Ireland ) at something unrelated...The point being, it is not advertised ethically; as a demanding , time consuming and intense course requiring 40hrs a week. A course with zero support but yet excepts us to come up with the goods for assignments.
Having said all that I am enjoying the learning aspect. I am not sure where it will all lead, maybe nowhere esp as I might have to cross animation and logos off my list :)
Thanks for the vent and the encouragement.
Oh and I cannot resist...but this is what I am submitting; not great...but not offensive and doesn't break too many rules. :)
I truly appreciate the feedback here...all of it.

lesuse bus card side 1.png

Back