Looking for an illustration for a music project

Lugod83

Hello to all my friends across the pond. I’m a graphic designer from America. I’m also a practitioner of beatmaking. I’m here because I’m working on a personal project and would like to get some ideas of how much it would cost to have a design for some album art drawn and colored. The best I can describe what I’m looking for is that 80s ninja turtles Kevin Eastman shit. Like colorful, and grafitti like. It’s for a rap album, Would be one character involved in a setting for the front and just the setting for the back. In the end I’d basically need to have two 5” by 5” 300 dpi images for the front cover and track list. I’m not in any way known or anything and this will be my first attempt at this kind of thing.

Not really my scene, I think you'd be better off finding a stock image or searching on something like DeviantArt or Behance or maybe going the photography route?
You'd be talking something like £300-400.00 for a commission, unless you could find an art student maybe that could do it cheaper.

Not really my scene, I think you'd be better off finding a stock image or searching on something like DeviantArt or Behance or maybe going the photography route?
You'd be talking something like £300-400.00 for a commission, unless you could find an art student maybe that could do it cheaper.

You need to be careful with stock images too - a lot of times they can't be used on merchandise or commercial items being sold - so check the EULA of the stock image!
But I've often found stock images and contacted the author and bought the sole rights to it - and had it removed from stock sites. It can be done.

Another great source is Flickr - get in touch with the photographer - I've gotten them to give me hi-res images for free before. Once I had to give one photographer access to the rooftop, as we were based in the docklands and he wanted some shots of the dock from the roof - which was cool. Another was just delighted we got in touch and asked permission and was happy to hand over hi-res photos - and then another photographer wanted us to donate £100 to a charity - another wanted an Image Credit in the magazine.

At the end of the day - ask permission from the stock/photographer - they can be great sources!

Comic book thing isn't quite my style I'm afraid but thanks for the nod @hankscorpio.

Jim is pretty amazing at the comic/game art style though.
Don't see him around here much sadly but do see he's fit and healthy in Linkedin.

Back