Looking for advice

jessicabee

Hi all!:)

I'm new to the forum and I'm looking for some career/general advice.:unsure:

I'm 24 and I've been a Graphic Designer for a little over 3 years, I don't have a degree but I've worked my way from Junior Designer to mid-level Graphic Designer in that time, my current position is in a transport company and I'm solely responsible for the graphic design needs of the company. I've had 4 employed positions and did a small stint of freelance, 3 of these positions were as an in-house designer for brands and 1 was in a design agency.

I live in a fairly small town (I've lived here my whole life) which isn't renowned for boasting creative opportunities and I am starting to get itchy feet, so I'm looking to move to a bigger city for a new adventure/fresh start. I'm slightly nervous about applying for design jobs out of my 'comfort area' and am aware that bigger cities will likely have better/greater competition.

In the past, I have applied for jobs with a CV/Cover Letter/PDF Portfolio or have been lucky enough to skip that stage through happening to know someone in the company.

Here are my questions:

- What is the best way to showcase your work? PDF or Online?
- If it's online, is it better to fully create a website yourself or use a website builder like Wix etc?
- Is your portfolio more important than your work experience?
- Will potential employers be put off the fact I have had a few positions in a short space of time? Or does that mean I have a good variety of experience behind me?

If anyone has any advice or tips, I'd be greatly appreciative.

Thank you!

Hey Jessica and welcome to GDF.

This is only "in my opinion" but or what it's worth:

"What is the best way to showcase your work? PDF or Online?"
I'd say both if you can. I've seen employers ask for both or either so I guess it's good to cover both bases.
Most seem to ask for examples (which you can taylor to suit the role).
Strangely they often seem to ask for them or Word, especially recruiters.

"If it's online, is it better to fully create a website yourself or use a website builder like Wix etc?"
I always think it better to have made your own but there are loads of Wordpress folio themes out there that are customisable and very easy to use.
Don't rule portfolio sites like Bechance out either.

"Is your portfolio more important than your work experience?"
I'd say that's down to the individual but guess you're judged on both really.

"Will potential employers be put off the fact I have had a few positions in a short space of time? Or does that mean I have a good variety of experience behind me?"
Your experience is what it is and you can't really change that.
Just go for it and don't be put off. Determination and persistence will win in the end.

Back