Looking for a Photographer

C

chrismitchell

Hi everyone, as you probably know i'm engaged to be married next year, and i'm looking for a cheap photographer for the ceremony and stuff like that.. Anyone know of any decent photographers in the Oxford area. Or free photographers who will take pictures for an invite (free food :D) sort of thing :)

thanks in advance.

Well we're paying for everything ourselves :p :lol: so if we can save on some things then we will :) i already got the invites, place cards, envelopes and a wax seal for free from a printer mate of mine :D

Haha I was messing. Paying yourself will be expensive won't it? How close is central London to Oxford? I don't know the South at all!

Hi Chris,

I'm not a cheap photographer from Oxford but a couple of little ideas, there's the obvious leaving a disposable camera on each table to get lots of various/funny shots, but another idea is to get a polaroid camera and get the best man to go round and take a polaroid of each guest/couple/group of guests and then get a special polaroid guestbook where you can insert the photos, then get the guests to write their message on the page with their photo :)

EDIT: Here's an example of what I'm talking about: http://www.instantforever.com/polaroid_guest_albums.html

Yeah we're doing the whole camera thing for everyone to take piccies :) but we want a nice photographer to take the "official shots" so to speak :)

Its not taking place in London fortunately its taking place just outside Aylesbury (going towards Oxford). Its going to cost about £5000 ish give or take, so if we can get a photographer for free or cheaper then thats cool :D

Shame you're not a photographer Greg, there's free food ;) :lol:

I was asking about central London as I have a cousin lives there who's a student photographer (but very good). I looked it up on Google Maps and it's a fair old trek! Never the worry.

Oh yeah guessed that Chris just thought I'd mention the polaroid thing as a friend did at their wedding and just thought it was a nice touch :)

Imagine there's a world of difference between a pro photographer and someone who will do it on the cheap/free for you, I think the photography is one part you can't afford to cut back on! But like Harry mentioned if you can find a student photographer you might be able to get some half decent photos! ;)

true :) I did try to get a hold of an old friend of mine who is a Pro photographer for National Geographic, unfortunately he's in South America for the next 2 years tracking some sort of indigenous people and photographing them ... crazy as it sounds :p

Thanks for the input though guys :D

chrismitchell said:
true :) I did try to get a hold of an old friend of mine who is a Pro photographer for National Geographic, unfortunately he's in South America for the next 2 years tracking some sort of indigenous people and photographing them

Guessing wedding photography would have been a walk in the park in that case then!! :lol: hope you find someone Chris

I'm sure I will eventually mate :) thanks for the suggestions :) I will take them to management :D

Hi Chris, I have a friend who used to work in a two man band as a wedding photographer but has just started up freelance on his own this year, I'll pm you his email etc as he's just getting going I'm sure it will be much cheaper than normal, I think he has a portfolio from the company he previously worked for but also he has a few booked in for this year so you'll be able to check those out in advance of commitment I imagine!

Thanks for that Andy :) thats much appreciated :) I replied to your PM :)

it's worth paying for a professsional on the most important day of your life... i'm going with gavin hart when i get married later this year, he's based in north london and has VERY good prices... I'm pretty sure you can find his site via google.

Wanna tell you a storyyyyyyy....... Photographers and weddings....
Years ago, Pre-digital B.C. ( Before Computers), the biggest regional advertisers in the North east was Northern Electric, the agency i was at handled the business worth about £2-3 million a year. Heavy retail ads about 12 a day for press. Everything was original photography and airbrush for press definition. The head guy's daughter was having the wedding of the century and he wanted a photographer, All the newcastle commercial photographers were falling over themselves to do it for free as expected. The lucky guy, who I won't name, but I'll call 'Bob' did the big society wedding job with a guest list of hundreds and the church car park resembled a Bentley and Jaguar dealership. "Bob shot the wedding [which by all acounts was like a Jennifer Lopez event.] on high format pro Unfortunetly, Bob didn't realize he had left the camera lens cap on, (hi was viewing thru a 5x4 viewfinder format i think). Needless to say no pics of the wedding exist apart from a few snaps from guests. Bob's career evaporated after that.
Golden rule: Get an experienced guy who can do the job standing on his head with his eyes shut! Don't skimp.

PS. On my wedding pixs, I didn't realise that my Reactalite glasses turned dark in the sun and made me look like Roy Orbison or Bono. I look a prick.

damn Berry thats harsh! :eek: point well made by everyone it seems :)

Back