Looking for a 4k monitor

Paul Murray

Ultimate Member
I'm looking to get upgrade my working machine and am liking going down the route of a retina Macbook Pro hooked up to an external monitor. Obviously with it being a retina display, I'd really want a 4k monitor to match, but have no idea what I'm really looking for.

This Samsung one has taken my eye. Anyone got any other recommendations?

I'll need to check available desk space, but I'm sure we can all agree, bigger is better ;) For the extra £20 I'd rather get the extra size.

I wouldn't get either of those, they both state 1ms response time which normally means tn panel so you will likely have issues with colour accuracy etc.

You ideally want IPS or equivalent and personally I'd be looking at a dell screen.
This one should do you fine (plus it rotates to portrait - handy for page layouts :)) but they also do a 5k screen too and some other sizes

Actually the Samsung is a TN display.

Apple popularised the term IPS and now everyone wants one, but IPS displays have been available for nearly 20 years. Problem with a lot of IPS displays is that black colours don't display really well - you should look into S-IPS if that's what you intend on getting.

Or you could look to get best of both by going down the road of a MVA or PVA - which combines both. In saying that - S-IPS is probably better for designing, and the TN versions would be more suited to gaming.

Dell do pretty good monitors, I think I recommeded a Dell to Boss hog before and there was a problem with it from a setup point of view for him not sure what model that was.

For a S-IPS this one gets great reviews https://www.amazon.co.uk/PA248Q-24-...ie=UTF8&qid=1465566368&sr=8-1&keywords=PA246Q

Reactions: ash
To be fair most 'professional' IPS screens will be the 'S-IPS' variety as it's superseded IPS a few years back. There's also the cheaper variations of IPS panels which you can find on the cheaper IPS screens which while better than than TN for accuracy (less colour shift) they don't have as much colour range as the pro stuff.

Back