Long emails in design

gprovan

Hi All,

What kind of techniques do you use to shoehorn extremely long emails into your designs?
I've recently won a tender for an organisation whose email addresses can be upwards of 40 characters (including dots and @).

I'm finding it fairly difficult to incorporate it into the new designs using their corporate fonts. I've tried splitting into a block but it just doesn't look quite right.

Cheers!

I try to manage the clients expectations

Long URLs - people won't type out to reach you.
Bitly link

Long URLs that are clickable (non-print)
Click here text or add a button

Long URL in text that has to be there
Look for good breaks, don't add extra hyphens (set the text to No Language and it won't hyphenate)

Other options
Suggest a QR code
https://www.google.ie/search?q=nice...KEwj7lrqWso_OAhWoJ8AKHXdTDdYQ_AUIBigB&dpr=0.9

Although - a 40 character email address.... that's just ridiculous. I'd suggest they look into shortening their email addresses.

Have to agree that 40 characters is loonnnnggg as fuck. Is it an address that you could tell someone over the phone and they'd be able to type in straight away or would they need to have you spell it out for them? If it's the latter I'd really suggest changing it or using a parked domain.

Personally I don't like breaking email address or domains at all as it can lead to confusion. I'd reduce the size down to make it fit but without knowing what you're working with it's hard to know if this is a valid solution or even an option.

Long URLs that are clickable (non-print)
Click here text or add a button

On a side note, rather than "Click to here do XYZ", using a loaded statement is better as it cuts out on waffle and links the lick to the action the user will perform.

For example:

Click here to email us
or
Click here to email us
or even
Click here to email us

…would be better as just…

Email us (don't forget that underline!)

With the A/B split campaigns I've done. It's a good idea to put links for contacting/booking at the top and bottom of the emails.

For example

Email Us if you're interested!

Statement
Email Us if you're interested!

Thanks. Unfortunately, it's print only design so clicking is out of the picture (although I have seen this stupidly included in print before).
Luckily it's several words so can be split if necessary. I don't like to do this, but feel it's better than having a lot of text at 32pt saying 'for more information go to...' and then 'thebigdomainnameanditsmanyproblems.org.uk' at 10pt.
I'll give the client the options. However, they've already created their corporate identity and have already been using the URL for a while now.

Back