Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logo's Use, rights or wrong...

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by glenwheeler, Sep 25, 2010.

1. glenwheeler

glenwheeler Senior Member

Hi Guys,

OK. So I opened a competition to Xbox 360 players just last week. You can find if here if you are interested in joining.

F1 Creative - F1 2010 The Game Xbox 360 Competition - Sponsors

A few days ago I had logo's of Xbox 360, Codemasters and F1 on the bottom. Before I did this I had a read up to see if this was ok, and I found by many designers that putting these logo's on where absolutely fine without permission.

Juts two days a go I was contacted by a member of Codemasters asking me to remove their logo as I could get it trouble. Obviously I did this right away.

What are peoples thought's on this. Was I wrong to add the logo's to my site? Thought's/comments on this would be great! Thanks guys!
  2. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

well if you were saying they were a sponsor (the link) then I'm sure they would be complaining if that wasn't the case. Most companies won't mind the use of their logo as long as it's not being used as false advertising etc (ie saying they are a sponsor when they're not)
  3. glenwheeler

4. Levi

No I said IF you were using them as a sponsor (or appearing to be). I can only go on what you have linked to and the page title says "F1 Creative - F1 2010 The Game Xbox 360 Competition - Sponsors"

If I was a company and I was not sponsoring you and you had my brand on that 'sponsors' page even with that text then I would be complaining, images are seen before the text and most of the time text is ignored when it comes to contests. It would be seen as false/misleading advertising at the very least.
  5. glenwheeler

What even if the text says " We currently `DO NOT' have any sponsors....

I dunno about you but I always read first, especially if its a competition.

It's the same issue with hosting sites, you allowed to throw on Linux logo's, windows logo's etc here there and everywhere, its the same with Xbox logo's etc....doesn't mean they are sponsored or seem to be sponsored by them
  6. Levi

you're in the minority then. Remember there's a saying that goes a picture speaks a thousand words. If there are company logo's on a page that refers to a contest then 90% of people will see the logo and assume they are the sponsors. Branding has become so common place that people assume that if a logo is on a site/product that they are either the product, selling it or advertising it.

No that's a different scenario, thats selling a product with said services or products, not giving away products under their name. The likelihood is that most company's would have complained over that too except it's become common practice in retail (store/hosting) and they now see it as a form of free advertising.
  7. glenwheeler

I'm not giving away products, I like being the minority why be the same as everyone else, I don't like being a boring ba**ard and following the band wagon.

there's also a saying..."Don't judge a book by its cover" I think we all know what that means. Anyway I appreciate your comments dude. Cheers. taken them on board
  8. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

Didn't quite read through the entire topic, but this makes me think of all the websites using for example an iPhone or any other Apple product — Macbooks and iMacs are common on designer portfolio's to display website thumbnails — in their design. Apparently this is against Apple regulation, although I don't know the technical details.

And also reminds me of the FIFA logo which was apparently unlawfully used a lot.
  9. Levi

apple has a usage agreement after the zip link (here's the apple tv one but they're all the same) on the press images (ie the images most use), the rest would fall under normal copyright I would expect.

I've said about the breach of apple's rules on numerous occasions on this forum but most still ignore it.
  10. rossnorthernunion

rossnorthernunion Senior Member

Think you've been misinformed. If you are writing on a blog and commenting about a company, product, or famous person, then it's a no-brainer that it's fair use to use the company's logo, product image, or headshot in your blog post. But if you're using a logo on a website then it could be argued that that company is someway connected to your site and business, either through sponsorship or through trading agreement.

I didn't see where you placed the codemasters logo on your site, so I can't comment for definitive.

You rectified a simple mistake, credit for doing it so quickly.
  11. glenwheeler

Thanks for the advice guys helped a lot for future reference.