Logos - help!!!!!

Are they logos, or just two free fonts with very poor metrics? At the risk of being very unhelpful, if I had to choose, it would be neither? What is this for? Who is it aimed at?

They aren’t really logos. They are just a tag line displayed in different fonts.

What are they promoting?

They are not logos. At best, they could be titles for a children's book. The bottom is
particularly bad and has poor kerning. Unless you give us some context then we can't really offer
any advice.

I'd go with the 2nd one.

And you can definitely just have text as a logo - it's called a wordmark logo, Google, Yahoo, Facebook, Twitter (use to), eBay, Disney, flickr, kleenex, Skype, Linkedin, Absolut, Coca-Cola, Bobil, Canon, Nasa, You Tube, Giorgio Armani, Gillette, Budweiser, PayPal, RayBan, NEC - to name a few famous ones.

Imagine if Pemberton had told his book keeper that it was just Spencirian Script?

Reactions: 7up
Of course you can have a workmark (being a bit of a minimalist and a type geek myself, they are my favourite kind), but they are usually a little crafted and often either tweaked from the original typeface to suit a given purpose, or moreover, are created with bespoke lettering, rather than a font. In this case it appears as though little or no thought has been given to kerning, harmony, etc. In addition, the quality of the original font metrics leaves a lot to be desired. It just feels, ‘typed in’ and a bit hamburgerfonstiv, pangramy.

Overall, though, any word mark has to be fit for purpose and tell a story. The problem here is that a critique has been requested and no one knows what it is for, so we cannot say whether it is even close to being fit for purpose.

Let’s hope 7up responds so we can respond constructively and help out.

Reactions: 7up
Dammit, I meant, ‘wordmark’! Too late to edit.
Of course you can have a workmark (being a bit of a minimalist and a type geek myself, they are my favourite kind), but they are usually a little crafted and often either tweaked from the original typeface to suit a given purpose, or moreover, are created with bespoke lettering, rather than a font. In this case it appears as though little or no thought has been given to kerning, harmony, etc. In addition, the quality of the original font metrics leaves a lot to be desired. It just feels, ‘typed in’ and a bit hamburgerfonstiv, pangramy.

Overall, though, any word mark has to be fit for purpose and tell a story. The problem here is that a critique has been requested and no one knows what it is for, so we cannot say whether it is even close to being fit for purpose.

Let’s hope 7up responds so we can respond constructively and help out.
I agree, but the sample looks more like a tagline than a business name:

SKYLINE CAFE
A roof with a view
I agree, but the sample looks more like a tagline than a business name:

SKYLINE CAFE
A roof with a view
I'd go with the 2nd one.

And you can definitely just have text as a logo - it's called a wordmark logo, Google, Yahoo, Facebook, Twitter (use to), eBay, Disney, flickr, kleenex, Skype, Linkedin, Absolut, Coca-Cola, Bobil, Canon, Nasa, You Tube, Giorgio Armani, Gillette, Budweiser, PayPal, RayBan, NEC - to name a few famous ones.

Imagine if Pemberton had told his book keeper that it was just Spencirian Script?
They are not logos. At best, they could be titles for a children's book. The bottom is
particularly bad and has poor kerning. Unless you give us some context then we can't really offer
any advice.
Are they logos, or just two free fonts with very poor metrics? At the risk of being very unhelpful, if I had to choose, it would be neither? What is this for? Who is it aimed at?

I understand. I was trying to make a logo for an online forum, and drew the " logos " myself

any more critiques will be much appreciated (y)

I understand. I was trying to make a logo for an online forum, and drew the " logos " myself

any more critiques will be much appreciated (y)
“Online forum” is not enough information, I’m afraid. we would need to know a topic, intended audience, etc, etc. Is there a specific area this forum deals with?

I agree with the others in that it would be easier if we know the context of the forum or what it was about.

Those seem to be graffiti derived styles so is it something to do with Street Art?

In which case use a header image that looks like the words spray painted on a wall. Even better - do the graffiti and take a photo.

I assume the words 'A roof with a view' means something in the graffiti world.

In which case use a header image that looks like the words spray painted on a wall. Even better - do the graffiti and take a photo.

I assume the words 'A roof with a view' means something in the graffiti world.

kind of...

I need to dig through my collection of spray cans then :D

in other news would xenforo be the best forum software to use ?

Back