Logo for chinese restaurant

Mosskat

Chinese restaurant called Kins house
colours requested were gold, red and white (and black?)
request was that there be a house in it, and a koi fish

This is what I have so far. I do not claim to be good at Logos, quite the opposite I'm doing this as a favour and also to learn. PLEASE feedback, suggestions on what I can do. I would love you forever.

kinshouse_logovs2.jpg

Original thumbnail/rough idea

kinshouse_logovs3.jpg

Changes client requested

kinshouse_logovs4.jpg

client requested red in the koi and now I'm completely stumped.

Hi Mosskat,

I prefer the originals but what can you do.

I like the house on the red one though, more Chinese looking. Is the client open to having black with the red Koi or do they want all red, cause I think the black and red looks quite nice together and enhances the Asian feel? I think the rough idea is good, just need to be refined a bit. The typography could be improved I think. Maybe a different typeface and less tracking?

Hope that helps in some way!

Thanks,
Soren

Soren, I agree with you about the typeface.

I like the red Koi although it doesn't create that much of a contrast... it would look better red and black.

The house on the final one is good.

To me though, the background on the final one seems a lot more bland in comparison with the other two. That's just my opinion.

Aarlev said:
Hi Mosskat,

I prefer the originals but what can you do.

I like the house on the red one though, more Chinese looking. Is the client open to having black with the red Koi or do they want all red, cause I think the black and red looks quite nice together and enhances the Asian feel? I think the rough idea is good, just need to be refined a bit. The typography could be improved I think. Maybe a different typeface and less tracking?

Hope that helps in some way!

Thanks,
Soren
Hey Aarlev! thank you!
Yes, I liked the originals very much too - I will try the red and black on the koi and see what happens.
Also will do less tracking on the type. Do you have any font suggestions?

Mosskat said:
Hey Aarlev! thank you!
Yes, I liked the originals very much too - I will try the red and black on the koi and see what happens.
Also will do less tracking on the type. Do you have any font suggestions?

Sorry I didn't mean red and black koi but I think that could actually look good as well. but just mixed red and black in the entire illustration. Like you have on the originals. But with a black house or a black border around instead since the client insists on a red koi. It gives a nice contrast on the originals with the black.

I don't know about typeface. A nice sans-serif like Avenir or Frutiger maybe?

Changed the backgound a bit, made the koi predominantly black with red spots

kinshouse_logovs5.jpg

still fiddling with the fonts

Aarlev said:
Sorry I didn't mean red and black koi but I think that could actually look good as well. but just mixed red and black in the entire illustration. Like you have on the originals. But with a black house or a black border around instead since the client insists on a red koi. It gives a nice contrast on the originals with the black.

I don't know about typeface. A nice sans-serif like Avenir or Frutiger maybe?
Put in the changes :D was actually a little ahead of you there with the house - okay will try fonts you recommended as well - because that's whats stumping me...

It looks like the chef just put his knife in the fish... that should sufficiently describe what I think of the red :p

Don't like how the house stands out with that black color, I prefer the red. I think it's good that you added a slight shadow to the fish, thus also breaking the circle at its fin. Maybe you could extend the strokes of the house to break the circle? Just a thought. For the rest, good job on the background, not too random like the original. Keep working on the font.

I don't like the red on the Fish. And the typography needs more work. New background is better though, and the house looks good in black.

Onartis said:
It looks like the chef just put his knife in the fish... that should sufficiently describe what I think of the red :p

Don't like how the house stands out with that black color, I prefer the red. I think it's good that you added a slight shadow to the fish, thus also breaking the circle at its fin. Maybe you could extend the strokes of the house to break the circle? Just a thought. For the rest, good job on the background, not too random like the original. Keep working on the font.
LOL so true, so true about the stabbing thing... I think I'll rework the red a little better. *chuckles*
thanks again!

Aarlev said:
I don't like the red on the Fish. And the typography needs more work. New background is better though, and the house looks good in black.
I'm going to change the red, as Onartis said, looks like blood. Also still fiddling with the fonts (need some free alternatives).

thats an *uber* cool illustration.

i think that you could play with the heirarchy to make the logo easier on the eye.
the eye seems to 'hunt' around the logo, without settling as it should.

maybe you could consider tweaking the colours/tones and the size of each element to give more natural balance?

Avoid using red and black together, they are very negative and act on a subconcious cave man style level. Red and White are the opposite.

kinshouse_logovs10.jpg

Tada! (?)
I put more red towards the bottom to encourage the eye to move from up to down. added some more koi like patterns to the fish, tweaked the house a bit and most importantly got some help with the layout of the font.

Comments, suggestions? Wishing to complete this so I can move on to the menu layout...

that is a vast improvement.
the background was fighting with the foreground in your last image..
much easier on the eye now.

i still think that there is a lot going on in such a small space.
have you considered fading one of the elements into the background? eg the house shape.

The letter S in the word KIN'S should be closer to the N there is too big a gap.
this would also then make the word house have spacing more comparable to the word KINS.

the letter H still looks oddly sized.
maybe you could try increasing the size of the ouse letters?

kinshouse_logovs12.jpg

faded the house, changed the font to completely san-serif style.
Had an idea and made house small but all caps and more spaced

kinshouse_logovs13.jpg

Opinions?

I'd keep the koi black and white. The red stands out too much for me. And I prefer the house with full opacity. The typography is way better on the last one than on all the others, but the red drop shadow looks naff I think. Background looks much better, but perhaps move the text and calligraphy down slightly? It's a bit too close to the tail of the fish imo.

Back