Logo for chinese restaurant

Okay for the moment, ignore the koi - I'm seriously going to have to rework the design on it - client requested red on the koi. Can't ignore the client.

Which one feels better you all think? Black or deep red?
kinshouse_logovs14.jpg

kinshouse_logovs15.jpg

Took the drop shadow of the type. Thank you guys so much so far and thank you onartis for the refs - I'll tackle the koi next.

I like the idea and it's developing well from your initial posts but I find the different elements are fighting for my attention a bit.

Does your client want the main emphasis of the logo to be on the Koi or the House symbol?

What I would suggest you try is (assuming the main element is the Koi):

1. Rotate and move the Koi so it follows the bottom arc of the circle.
2. Centre the type and position it at the top of the circle above the Koi

This should give the overall look a bit more balance.

Although I quite like the background pattern you've got now, It may be worth trying a full house symbol as the background instead.

As for the Koi itself, try something like the second image Onartis posted (White with Red pattern and a black outline).

Hope that helps a bit :)

I like the brown, it pushes the house a bit more into the distance, giving it some depth. Or maybe I'm just retarded, whichever your prefer.

I don't see any relevance in the Koi - do they serve steamed Koi?
Typography is fairly bland. As a brand ID it's not really well structured.
The name is Kin's House has been overlooked for an ornamental fish. I don't see the correlation between fish and Kin's House. may as well have used a Panda or a Nightingale

ok first off, who decided on using a Japanese fish on a Chinese restaurant. Koi Carp were initially bred in Japan.

Berry, koi (well the 'nishikigoi' anyways as koi means carp in literal Japanese translation :)) have a fair amount of importance in japan (can't remember exactly why off the top of my head thoygh). However ....... Wiki says: in Japanese, 'koi' is a homophone for another word that means 'affection or love'; koi are therefore symbols of love and friendship in Japan.

So I suppose you could say its implying a friendly atmosphere and you'll love the food.

EDIT: it looks like China use the koi as a new year symbol for prosperity.

As to the design, personally I think its more Japanese than Chinese, the koi plus the shape of the building are more synonymous with Japan to me (I like Japanese culture a fair bit so I've probably picked up more than the usual customer would though :)). Chinese buildings have more of a 'flick' to the end of the roof compared with Japan.

If you were to take it forward I would say try a darker shade of red on the koi, there are some really deep warm reds used in some oriental arts which I reckon could work better than the bright red.

I prefer the brown building too over the black one.

I'm also going to raise the question of hows it going to be used (it might have been mentioned but I havent seen it), theres a lot of colours etc going on so it could have some consequences further down the line.

Well, Levi, next time I see a koi, I'll think about your explanation and see if they used it right. But as you said, I don't think a lot of people know or care enough about it :clap:

Back