Logo For a Console gaming Friend

Rhonda

Does anyone have suggestions to improve on this design?

I know its rare that I have anything for critique and the last thing had alot of room for improvement. This one will too I'm sure, but I wanted to make a neat logo for a friend's YouTube page. Basically he does video reviews for retro and new console games. Anything from Atari to Sega. I have an initial idea which I've done in photoshop that I will share here. I'd like to make this a surprise for him but I'm not really pleased with what I have so far. Kind of emberrased in fact:D

It is supposed to be a game control pad with his YouTube name on it. Thing is I'm not too good at technical drawing. If it were some kind of animal it'd be tons better. That font is hand drawn which I am thinking needs to be realigned, and the actual control pad could be better. Like what could I do to the control pad to snazz it up, without having to resort to gloss. I also have an idea for an older model, but not sure which would be better. Thank you everyone.

RPKGameVids1.jpg

I personally wouldn't use many colours and just keep it simple. You could possibly go for a whole retro look as well as an even more retro controller. Most recognisable ones being the NES and Atari 2600 controllers in my book. Even if you stick with the Xbox 360 style controller shape you've got I think the simple style of these images would still work well.

Here's a nice example of the Atari 2600 controller in a sort of retro-looking t-shirt design. Like how RetroGT have done, you could make use of the flat sides for your text.
_dspImage.cfm

Here's a NES one. It's all straight lines so should be easy to create. A simple suggestion of shape would do (like the atari one) and you can use the middle section for the RPK text, similar placement to the Guide and PS and Home buttons of current consoles.
T-Shirt-NES-Controller.jpg

I think an image of an older controller would be more recognisable, for the same reasons that No Mobile Phones signs still show a mobile with an aerial on the top, despite the fact that mobiles haven't used external aerials since about 1999...

Jimlad and Glen, my two favorite DFrs:love:

Those are really cool and simple designs Jim. I also like the RetroGT one! I've been trying to think of how I can use the NES one but make it unique to me. I don't know if RPK has a favorite though, but I know he'd recognize which ever one I decided to use.

And Glen I would be interested in what you could think of actually. :eek: I am open to any ideas really.

An RPK is the light machine gun version of the famous Kalashnikov assault rifle.

Just thought I'd mention it.

Glen's always going on about F1 motor sports....make time for assault weaponry I say.

Oh cool, I had not known that Typo. Course for me there is very little I do actually know about guns, so it's all good to learn. Although for my friend I think the letters are name initials, well the R and P are, but don't know what the K is for.:)

And thank you Tom for the suggestion of the fonts! I am looking through TypeNow as we speak. Looking for something digital, retro screen print like.

Edit: After looking through the TypeNow site, I'm not sure if the JavaScript(?) is working. At the top of the list of movie fonts, It gives a drop down menu but when I select games fonts or any of them, nothing seems to happen.

So I've been working on it a little and have these two. Might be a little closer to the phrase "less is more" maybe. Made one with Red and one with white. Still not really pro but I just don't have much practice with this kind of thing :eek:

NESRed.jpg
NESWhite.jpg

I'd keep the white version, and I'd make the Game Vids part simple white in the same way the other version has it in simple red. I think that would work.

He liked it very much!. Thank you Jim and everyone for your advice. Not sure if he wants to use it on his YouTube page, but I didn't want to suggest it and come off as pushy. I left it up to him.

Back