Logo (first draft, criticism required)

olijosm

Hey gang,

A logo for my new "studio", need a bit of feedback and advice on what is good/not (all very much appreciated)

postbox.png

Thanks in advance!

Oliver

I quite like the initial idea, though I'd use a background on the type rather than a stroke (the outline is beginning to 'dip' in the center of the X) and I'd move "Creative Labs" further away from the main name.

Hi Oliver, welcome to the forum. Like the others I like the idea, but I'm not bowled over by it. But I'd start by moving the 'Creative Labs' down a little more. So that there is the same gap between the 2 lines that there is underneath the P and X.

Unless I'm missing something, I don't see any relevance between the logo and your name. If you're called 'Postbox' your logo should reflect that in some way. Or don't call yourself Postbox.

I quite like the initial idea, though I'd use a background on the type rather than a stroke (the outline is beginning to 'dip' in the center of the X) and I'd move "Creative Labs" further away from the main name.

Thanks for the input. I have made the change regarding the stroke on the letters, and agree it looks a lot better (it's these little things that make the difference, eh?). I also moved the "Creative Labs" down a bit, in line with what ARRIVALS said.

Hi Oliver, welcome to the forum. Like the others I like the idea, but I'm not bowled over by it. But I'd start by moving the 'Creative Labs' down a little more. So that there is the same gap between the 2 lines that there is underneath the P and X.

Thanks ARRIVALS. When you say that you are not bowled over by it, does that mean you don't think it is striking enough, or something else? I have moved the "Creative Labs" text down as you and Paul Murray suggested, and think it looks a lot better.

Unless I'm missing something, I don't see any relevance between the logo and your name. If you're called 'Postbox' your logo should reflect that in some way. Or don't call yourself Postbox.

You are correct, the link between name and logo is very tenuous and if it needs explaining then it's probably not good enough. It was one of two name concepts I was toying with, the other being the one I have uploaded this time round, so it would be good to have your feedback on that one.

ghostbox.png

Hi there,

Personally for me now, I think the logo looks very heavy at the bottom. This could be owing to the movement of the creative labs.

I'd be extremely tempted to notch all the text (including the surrounding area) up a few pixels.

Hi there,

Personally for me now, I think the logo looks very heavy at the bottom. This could be owing to the movement of the creative labs.

I'd be extremely tempted to notch all the text (including the surrounding area) up a few pixels.

Thanks for the feedback, you mean something like this?

ghostbox2.png

I agree with Spark, the logo and the name have no ties or links, it feels like its just a nice typeface coupled with some basic logo work.

Try using your name instead of Ghostbox, that might make the whole thing come together more.

Why not try a logo with a box instead of a circle, just a suggestion more in keeping with the name or maybe even a ghost silhouette

What would I change?

Hi olijosm,

Looking from your first post to what you have now I think its coming along nicely - the suggestions have been very good and now all is looking nice and balanced...

But personally I think it's very difficult to take an idea and then try to squeeze a concept into it afterwards... I've had it myself a few times where I've had a really cool idea for logo or design, and then tried to come up with a name or theme for it that would fit!

The problem is you can always tell when a concept has been developed from the ground up, and when its been "reverse engineered" into the design so to say... The logo looks visually pleasing, but at the moment it lacks relevance to the brand name you've chosen (in my opinion!)

My suggestion would be to make a final decision on the name you want to use, then try to tailor the logo design to that particular concept. So if you stick with "Ghost Box", think about how to make the word Ghost in the logo more ghostly... i.e semi transparent, or use a lighter variation of that typeface. Then as I think was already suggested, if the 2nd word of your brand is "Box", it would make sense to place the type in a box/square rather than a circle...

That's my 5cents worth - hope its of use to you :)

Back