Logo feedback please!

Hey there. I've designed a logo for a client who has a business called 'GourmetBrew'. Basically it's a monthly subscription-based service for lovers of craft beers and good food. Each month, subscribers will receive a gift pack of beers from a different independent brewery (from the UK or around the world), along with the 'ideal snacking accompaniment' hand-picked to suit that beer, and unique tasting notes. They want a bold yet playful design, so here's what i came up with.

What i've tried to do is combine a beer bottle into a gourmet 'chef'. I haven't played around with the kerning of the type, seeing as the client will probably want a classier font. But for now it should be okay! Any constructive criticism would be appreciated, and tips on how to add to the design would be great!

Luke

Ah god. I did a stupid mistake and posted this in the wrong feedback area! Anybody have the ability to change the location of this thread?

Apologies.

Hey don't worry about it, almost everyone posts here yet very few people realise their mistake, so well done!

I love the concept of the logo, however, I feel its execution is poor. The font choice and text styles are okay but they don't necessarily say gourmet/premium to me. The shape of the bottle needs adjusting, google champagne bottle to see what I mean, and the details of the champagne bottle need revising too The bow tie shouldn't disrupt the edges of the bottle shape. Is that an arm holding a wine tray?

You may want to try losing the arm and add more suit details to the bottle. Don't go over the top though it should be simple!

Thanks Chris!

Great, i appreciate the feedback Squiddy. I agree about the execution, i just feel as if there's something missing but i can't place it! In terms of font, do you have any recommendations? Yup, i was just thinking with the bow tie it'd be nice for it go to the edge, but yes maybe it'd look better contained in the bottle.

Thanks!!

I would suggest some fonts for you but then you miss out on what is in my opinion a very important step of graphic design - collecting your own resources and developing the skills required to find professional level resources for free. I could tell you a couple of fonts, but then if you were looking for yourself, you might find 10 other great fonts, and a couple of other awesome fonts that you could use in a different project. I would advise you to start using google to hunt down some awesome fonts, there are lots of blogs and articles on this subject for you to sink your teeth into.

As for the design, how many sketches of this design idea have you tried? I'm going to make a quick assumption and say either one or none - I could be wrong. I would take to the pen and paper and start with the bottle shape, just draw out a number of different bottle shapes - the idea is to get the shape in your head as if you aren't used to drawing you won't be able to instantly get what's in your head onto paper - especially if it requires symmetry.

Once you've compared and chosen the best couple of bottle shapes move on to the design. Study some pictures of some suits and work out how you can implement those ideas into the design. Don't limit yourself to that one idea though! Always think laterally and try to come up with designs that aren't always obvious.

Yes, that's fair enough. Lucking I've been looking for commercial fonts recently, that don't look like crap! I've got a few but I think it'll be time to buy a proper font soon!

I have plenty of sketches, just this idea stood out as being the most simple and eye-catching. I'm going to develop my other sketches, but until I receive feedback on this one (from the client) I won't be doing much work on the other ideas.

I've made a few changes to the beer bottle shape, i do think this one (below) looks much better shape-wise. I've had a go at another font too. Your opinions would be helpful :)

Ohh, it was a beer bottle? I thought it was a bottle of champagne! The shape is much better and the suit details are also much improved. What is that thing on the top though, it looks like either a cloud or a chefs hat? :D

haha indeed! Yeah, that's my attempt at a chefs hat.. or probably as you say a cloud or mickey mouse ears! I think i'll need to revisit that aspect of the design, but is the overall design stronger?

The overall design is much stronger, sorry I forgot to mention the font. I think it works well but it's not strong enough to compete with the boldness of the logo. I would go for a different font - try 5 or so and upload them here.

It's not a bad attempt at a chef's hat, I just wasn't up to speed with the design brief so I'm not sure what I should be expecting the logo to represent. Now that I've read your first post properly, may I recommend that you play on the delivery aspect of the service and perhaps just have a bottle encased in some way to represent a parcel/crate/box.

Okay dokay, yup I'll experiment with the font once I get the graphic element sorted, I think. Once i get the graphic element nailed, I think that finding the right font will be easier. Here I've made the font thicker and added a doorstep/presentation box to the logo. The doorstep represents the company's personal service, and as if you get the 'gourmet' service at your door from the moment you receive the beer/product. This could also be seen as the box you get when you receive the product. Your thoughts..

I think this idea has huge potential and can be illustrated in a great deal of ways, which I think you should definitely play around with before deciding on one idea.

The thicker font weight definitely works better, but I think the font itself needs changing. I realised what you need to do with the hat to make it look more like a hat :D You need to extend the base of the hat to make it more of a T shape. You risk making the icon too tall though by doing that.

sorry but that bottle does not look like a 'brew' bottle. The whole logo doesn't say gourmet brew to me it says wine seller/waiter.

Unless you alter the shape of the bottle drastically it will always edge towards wine, beer is a keg or pint/tankard glass.

Hmm, yes.. I just received feedback from the client, and he's asked for a more traditional beer bottle, which i assume is a pint glass. I've asked for confirmation and am waiting for his reply. Thanks Squiddy & Levi for the feedback so far. It's really helpful.

well I suppose a traditional beer bottle would be more stubby, think more along an ale bottle, or fatter with a shorter stem up top...

Yes indeed. He wants a bottle as described above (Levi) but without the chef suit etc, just totally plain. I think this is what makes it look a bit like a wine bottle etc, because it's just a solid shape, with no details on it. The only detail i can think of to differentiate is to use the cap of the bottle and make sure it stands out.. which I'm finding difficult!

you could try altering the shape, if you google there are some bottles that have kind of an hour glass shape (not literal shape - but top/bottom bulges like the pint glass 'bump') which you could maybe try

A beer bottle and a pint glass are two completely different things. I agree with Levi, If you google 'craft beer' using their image search you'll get an idea of the proper shape of a beer bottle which you should perhaps use instead.

If you lose the details on the bottle you'll lose the uniqueness of the logo so you need to find something else to use instead. You could perhaps pursue the gourmet aspect of it which is of course all about elaborate presentation and finely crafted tastes - your logo needs to reflect that.

You could perhaps try decorating the logo with some kind of gourmet drizzle, google gourmet food to see what I mean. It's the drizzle of usually brightly coloured sauce that's either dotted or drawn around the food. (http://blog.stonebrew.com/wp-conten...paired-with-moortgat-maredsous-10-triple3.jpg)

You might want to put the beer bottle onto some kind of plate typical of a gourmet meal, you could go with the parcel/doorstep idea or you could try something else! Use your imagination :D

I agree the shape of the logo does not seem to represent what the company is selling. I agree with Levi that it should be more like a pint glass, tanker etc, however you did say they sell other products? What are they? Are they relevant enough to be put within the logo? Has the client asked for it to be black and white or was that a design decision?

Back