Logo feedback please

cellar_door

Hi guys.

I'm designing a logo for a start-up web design/development company. The client has called his business Koga - he's a real martial arts buff and apparently 'Koga' was a 17th century Japanese ninja clan (stop laughing). He specified that he didn't want an actual ninja as part of the logo, but a subtle reference to ninjitsu or Japanese culture in general would be OK. Other key words from the brief were 'cool', 'modern', 'stylish' and 'funky'.

So what do you think? Good enough to present as a first proof or does it need more work?

Thanks,

Jim.

Koga1.jpg

Koga2.jpg

im very much a fan of the second logo, the typeface is a lot more sleek and the very slight gradients in the origami logo are really effective.

the first im not so much a fan of, the typeface doesnt scream to me as much as the second concept, that and the inverted octagon (or whatever its called technically :p) seems to just be floating in no where in particular. :)

timbo

Oooh i like the oragami swan - that looks really good. Have you tried scaling it down to check it looks ok really small?

Personally I prefer the top one, the bottom one is a little to familiar if you get what I mean.

The top one isn't perfect mind, I'm not keen on the g, I think it needs to be made closer to the other in scale and the ninja star seems out of place (personally I associate that more with china than japan but everyone is different).

Just as a play, what would the origami swan look like with the top text (with adjustments)?

I prefer the top one as well, and I actually like the 'g'. I would advise you to remove the gradients in the star and make it smaller so it looks like a custom asterisk. That sort of design element is something that would be very useful as the brand is expanded.

I also like the whole feel of the origami version, but I've seen it used quite a bit, and it doesn't have as much impact for me personally.

I'm with Levi, I'd carry on having a play. Might be interesting to use the star element with the swan logo text. As, typographically, the swan text is a lot more appealing.

your second design is stronger i feel, the typeface may be a little too rounded for my taste but i like the light weight and the sharpness of it. Like Krey said, it's typographically better

if you do use the graphic element, which i also like, i'd think about just scaling it down and look at it's positioning. At the minute over the top of the type it makes the overall design quite heavy feeling.

I think both are very nice and at a point worthy enough to show the client. For me the top one is a winner - that still looks great if you take the star away, the second one if you take the swan away not so much. But both are good.

I second Ken in being a fan of the g in the first typeface.

If you have the time available I would hold back in showing the client spend a bit more time experimenting yourself, no harm if you want to add in another idea or two.

In my opinion you've got yourself in a nice position where you have something good to show the client if they chase so can relax a little, use any extra time before he/she expects to see something to experiment further and take them in.

Hi Jim,

Like a few others have mentioned, I like the type in the first logo, it has some character to it and I think it meets the brief personally. I couldn't resist just trying this obvious inclusion of the Japanese flag to see how it looked...

jim.gif

Hope you don't mind! Not sure on it to be honest, but really wanted to see! :p

Like the others have said I think they're good initial concepts to present to your client :)
Greg

Not sure using the Nisshōki (the red circle) is the best option as up until 1999 it wasn't their recognised flag, prior to that it was mainly used by the military.

I know just about every japanese reference by a western company uses it and it's well known I just think it isn't suited to this context.

As to g - I never said I didn't like it, I just think it's out of proportion with the other letters.

Fair points Levi, probably too obvious as a reference point, and interesting to know about the historical side to it. Like I say it was just something I was curious to see :)

I agree that the typ from first logo may work with origami; though I'd place origami elsewhere as having it above type seems rather too heighty for a logo.

Hmmph pesky keyboard keeps skipping letters - apologies

Hi guys.

Thanks for all the feedback. Bit of a mixed bag but I think generally peeps prefer the star. I'll have a little play and post the results later today.

Thanks again,

Jim

Thanks gain for the feedback guys.

Couple of tweaked versions below. I think I'm ready to send these to the client now. I'll let you know what they say.

Jim.

kogsv2.jpg

Yup, think the Star logo works well, still don't think you need all of the tone, and would be just as successful in flat colours.

This version of the swan isn't as successful as the first one, for me. It's still nice, just 'something' doesn't quite do it for me. I think the star design has more impact, and more potential to be built into a brand.

ooh good swaps they're looking really sweet.

i think it's been raised before that the only thing the second one may be a lil too tall for a logo

I'm still loving the swan, but maybe 'cos i've never seen the origami done before in a logo, however the left one looks lovely now, so i'd def show the client both

I'm gonna be really annoying here and tell you I think I preferred the first versions.

Time to stop confusing matters by asking for feedback for now I think and fire them off for feedback form the person that matters!

Back