Logo Feed back Please

Moominbaby

Hello All,

I have been asked to come up with a logo for a Beekeeping Group, They are absed in Cornwall and want to raise the profile of beekeeping and attract younger people into beekeeping 20/30's. (It's a very small group at the moment and they just need a logo but maybe more later) So here it is...
The ideas are fairly straight forward The first is a hut and reflects the stripes on a bee too. The second is a bee made from elements of honey, two drips for wings and the the wooden honey stick used for dispensing honey. The colours are gold and black, very cornish but also gold references the honey again :)

View image: beekeeping Rose

(Black and white are just there B&W examples)

So any feed back would be welcome, uh oh please be gentle :)
Thanks

I like both the little hut and the bee graphic, but I'm not so keen on the font given that it is meant to be attracting people in their 20's/30's, it looks a little mumsy ;) Obviously this isn't a shouty party hard kind of hobby, nor are all 20 to 30 year olds into the same lifestyle, but I would be tempted to go for something along the script line still, but perhaps less fussy.

I like both the bee and the hut, probably the bee more. But like Liniziloop was saying, the script feels a little fussy.

The script doesn't work for me either. I really like the idea of the bee being made up by elements of bee keeping but I wouldn't perhaps associate what I'm looking at with your explanation of honey drops, wooden honey sticks. for me it's perhaps one step far removed from the concept?

Oh ditto on the font.... like the bee - don't think it matters if no-one 'sees' the honey drops and stick! Like the hut also.

Come on, back with another font!

Like them both, and you can see how well they work without a font at all. I'd try a less fussy display font with the emphasis on the 'Roseland' as the 'bee keeping group' can play secondary to the images.

Good stuff, look forward to seeing more!

I prefer the hut idea. I would do some more experimenting with that, maybe having the wooden slats coloured black and gold to represent the bee. Again, I would say the font could be changed, especially to target a younger market.

If I'm honest, they're both a bit too predictable. A bee hut and a honey bee are pretty obvious choices. I get that the bee is made up of bee-keeping elements, but is there another, more original or creative approach that you can explore?

I agree about the script too, I'm not getting a 'young' feel from it.

Hope I didn't come across too harsh :icon_smile:

In all honesty, while the explanations you've offered (bee-like stripes on the hut/wooden stick and honey drips making the bee) are basically sound, they don't really stand up or come across in a pleasing way in the design. I wouldn't worry too much about 'obviousness' when taking inspiration - the signifiers of bees and honey are fairly limited but they're universally understood and visually strong (honeycomb, perhaps?) - but I'm in no doubt that you can come up with something much more satisfying than the current drafts. I'd also echo the comments on the typeface; I think something fairly conservative would be okay but the one you have at present is - as linziloop says - a bit 'mumsy'.

If I'm honest, they're both a bit too predictable. A bee hut and a honey bee are pretty obvious choices. I get that the bee is made up of bee-keeping elements, but is there another, more original or creative approach that you can explore?

I agree about the script too, I'm not getting a 'young' feel from it.

Hope I didn't come across too harsh :icon_smile:

How about an awesome bee stinger lol?

Hi thanks all for your input and it's all really helpfull. I will get back to you after the weekend with some reworked ideas:) spent this week working or in east london at the D&AD talks, how can just a bit of networking and chatting be so massivly tiring! looking forward to some straight forward design! thanks all and your toally right about the font! I knew this in the back of my mind just wasn't sure nice to have someone call you up on it :)

Hello All right so I have had a think on the fonts and a rejig :)
I appreciate that the bee and the hut are a bit obvious but I think that they almost need to be as it's not for honey which would be too obvious but its for beekeeping. I thought about this alot before designing it about whether it was too straight forward but after looking into the whole beekeeping thing is is not really the norm there seems to be a lot of shield/coat of arms type logos that are very tradional. If your trying to catch someones eye then I think it almost needs to be straight forward. So maybe they think 'oh whats that, is it honey? no its beekeeping' and maybe this is something that they haven't thought about before. Well that just my feeling on the matter. I think your all totally right on the font front so I have had a play with some new fonts. I'm pretty happy with the hut font but the bee one I am struggling with. I like the font used in the black one best out of the two options but I also feel it needs to be lighter as this is quiet a heavy font but can't seem to find a lighter version or something that comes close. Any way I figured I would put it out there for a second round :) thanks and any surgestions for a free font, all I surgestions very welcome :)
View image: beekeping

Hello :icon_smile: I really like the little hut and I'd agree with you that it expresses bee-keeping better than honey (especially as that's not what it's about). I still really don't like the font (sorry). I will openly admit most cursive fonts immediately put me off because I just don't like them but i also think it just makes the design look a bit feminine and outside the age-range you are looking at.

I had a quick play with some sans fonts with the huts and I think it makes it a much more up to date, appealing to the target audience logo. (Also prefer the solid coloured ones to striped - but that's just me). Anyhoo just food for thought

http://i49.tinypic.com/2dqlpbc.jpg

@SpottyPenguin With all due respect, that looks more like an estate agents than anything ;) Haha. It looks very corporate.

I still don't think the fonts are working in the bottom example, I'd watch for the O on Roseland as the kerning looks a little wide, and the P in beekeeping looks a bit like an F?

@SpottyPenguin With all due respect, that looks more like an estate agents than anything ;) Haha. It looks very corporate.

I still don't think the fonts are working in the bottom example, I'd watch for the O on Roseland as the kerning looks a little wide, and the P in beekeeping looks a bit like an F?

Thanks guys, yeh I'm not really feeling the font either SpottyPengin, sorry :) I just like something a bit less corprate:) I really just plonked them together and when I find the right font for the bottom one I'll work through them with a fine tooth comb and make them perfect. I know the font isn't right on the bottom one I just need a bit of a lighter font but I want something that has the same feel as the black and white bee font but I can't find anything. I will have another look but if anyone has any surgestions along the same lines that might work I would be most greatfull :) Thanks again :)

Hello All right so I have had a think on the fonts and a rejig :)
I appreciate that the bee and the hut are a bit obvious but I think that they almost need to be as it's not for honey which would be too obvious but its for beekeeping. I thought about this alot before designing it about whether it was too straight forward but after looking into the whole beekeeping thing is is not really the norm there seems to be a lot of shield/coat of arms type logos that are very tradional. If your trying to catch someones eye then I think it almost needs to be straight forward. So maybe they think 'oh whats that, is it honey? no its beekeeping' and maybe this is something that they haven't thought about before. Well that just my feeling on the matter. I think your all totally right on the font front so I have had a play with some new fonts. I'm pretty happy with the hut font but the bee one I am struggling with. I like the font used in the black one best out of the two options but I also feel it needs to be lighter as this is quiet a heavy font but can't seem to find a lighter version or something that comes close. Any way I figured I would put it out there for a second round :) thanks and any surgestions for a free font, all I surgestions very welcome :)
View image: beekeping

I like 2 and 4 :)

Id say change up the typeface. It needs something a bit more solid. helvetica bold, gotham.. just something more solid

Back