Logo Designing

Marty

Hi Guys , just found this forum and looks great.

i have a few websites , but im no designer and i always struggle with logos.

any tips on designing them? what software to use etc?

cheers

Hey Marty,

Welcome to Design Forums, and glad you like the site :)

For the final logo design, my personal preference is Adobe Illustrator, as you'll need to create the logo in a vector format for it to be used on various applications without a loss in quality.

The best tip for designing them is to leave the computer to one side, pick up a pen and paper and just start sketching, the best logos come from pages and pages of ideas and development. You'll find that jumping straight onto a computer to design will restrict your imagination and limit your designs, your best off using the computer once you have some strong ideas in mind.

Hope this helps in some way, and I'm sure other members will have some great tips for you soon!
Greg

ok cheers , im ok with ideas and knowing what i want its just knowing how to product it on the PC

Ahh ok cool, yes I'd say Adobe Illustrator is your best bet in that case, or if not CorelDraw, Xara X or even an open source alternative like Inkscape (although never used that, so can't say how good it is)

There's lots of great Illustrator tutorials around so if you do have access to that you'll find help is very accessible compared with the other software mentioned above.

Greg

You'll find that you can jump from one idea to another very easily so during brainstorming sessions, be quick to get those inspirational thoughts together. Pencil and paper most definitely.

Research and do more research. There are certain rules to determine whats effective and what is not.

I am about to put a guide together to help people with logo designs. Should be ready in a few weeks.

Calibre Designs said:
I am about to put a guide together to help people with logo designs. Should be ready in a few weeks.

Sounds good Kay, I was chatting to Lee from StudioEightySix (also a member here) the other day and he had the idea of a forum area for tutorials and how-to guides, perhaps this sort of thing would fit well in an area like that? Even if it's just links to external sites, as long as it's good content I'm sure it will be beneficial to people.

Thanks,
Greg

Branding is a vast, complex subject of which logo design is a big part. It can get very intense depending how involved you'd like to get, but a few basic pointers are:-

• Keep your message clear and concise
  • Avoid using complex fonts
  • Try to avoid using more than two or three colours (excluding shading etc)
  • Remember the most successful logos are simple ones!

Hope this helps,

Alex

Some good tips there Alex, it's very easy to get carried away with a concept and start to lose sight of those fundamentals.

JillTovey said:

Thanks for that Jill, that would be great!
I'm going to setup a turorials/guide area later this afternoon - http://www.designforums.co.uk/feedback-ideas-df-news/94-hints-tips-tutorials-section.html

Thanks,
Greg

I think you need a complete overhaul Rob, of your complete brand, not just your logo. I don't think anyone could really suggest something without more information though.

e.g. what are you trying to achieve, what market position do you want to be in, what audience are you targetting etc etc...

Back