Logo designers: what do you think of the ARMM method?

graham foster

I've recently come across the ARMM method for logo design. A lot of it seems to make good design sense, although I'm not convinced by a couple of details. I still think it's important that a logo should be able to work in black and white for example.

What do other designers think of it?

To be honest, I think it is just common sense and pretty much how I was taught back in the day.

Yes, the digital age means a logo doesn't have to work B+W or be over simple but when companies want their logo on a pen or something I bet they wish they were.

I too start to B+W as I think a logo should work in its simplest form.

Then it's just a case of dropping a colourful gradient on it and a Photoshop filter.
I find Lens Flare works best. ;)

Fact is, I'm (should be) designing a logo right now.

Sometimes it's just horses for courses.

I'm not working in B+W in this case as it's for a kids TV show but it may end up getting used on merch so I have to consider that.
Much of the way we design a logo depends on what it's for, who the client is and what they do.

If it were for a clothing brand I'd make it simple and scalable and work in one colour.
On the other hand. If it's for a kids TV show then that all goes out of the window.
It's got to be fun, probably pretty complex and animate well.

Rules are all well and good but they don't apply to everything in the same way.
I think the most important thing is to understand the client and their demographic.

Rules are all well and good but they don't apply to everything in the same way.
I think the most important thing is to understand the client and their demographic.
Yep. Agreed. I think that's what made me a little uncomfortable about it - the fact that he's suggesting there's a tried and tested method. But it's far too complex for one method to apply to all logo design projects.

You're bang on there.

There are instances where a logo must be timeless.
If the client is pretty corporate (say financial based) they it may need to speak stability and structure.

Other times it may be more throw away and fun.
One size doesn't fit all.
(Apart from snap back caps. They do unless you have a problem with your head)

I guess it's hard to tell without watching the rest of the vid's but it does seem a little narrow minded.

BTW. I seem to recognise your profile pic from somewhere.
Not sure where?

Do you write for a blog or something?
Not being weird.
Just curious where I recognise you from.

No problem. I have quite a few social media accounts with the same profile pic including dribbble, behance, twitter, google+ etc. probably from one of them?

I write my own blog on my website and this idiotic annoying smile beams out at you from the sidebar of those posts too.

Having discussed it briefly with Scotty there, I don't think it replaces anything.

Instead, there are a few good aspects to the methodology, but it shouldn't be read as gospel.

One of the reasons I went into graphic design in the first place was because every project is so different. It's what I love about it. It keeps everything interesting.

Therefore you can't expect one method to apply perfectly to every brief. A bit like the fact that because every child born is so different, one parenting guide does not apply to all children. Ask any parent.

Back