Logo Design

bizzkid

Hello,

I am a full time student and have setup as self employed and in April 2011 will be launching a small business.

I don't have much capital to start the business but obvoiusly I need a logo which will be strong and clear, as well as look professional.

I know that a logo designer will not just design me a logo for free, so was wondering if there are other students who are looking to build a portfolio for University?

I understand that when applying for a Graphic Design course at university the student has to provide a portfolio at their interview, which includes logo designs - so thought that this would be a good opportunity on both side.

Are there any student designers on here or do you know of any?

Many Thanks
:up:

Sorry fella, I don't think you'll get a particularly good response here!! Speculative work isn't really appreciated as much as you may think.

If you really appreciate your business and see it going somewhere - save up for some collateral and pay a professional to do it! (plenty of them on here that are willing to work to a budget)

I understand that Chris, but as I'm only young I thought it would be good to give someone else the opportunity to expand their portfolio - espcially as this is the time of year they are applying.

Maybe if I have no success or decent designs I will pay a professional, but I have already had one offer.

if you've already had one offer, you're cool already then right?

just a heads up, it doesn't matter how old you are. just because you have less years on you doesnt mean you can veto paying anyone automatically.

tim said:
if you've already had one offer, you're cool already then right?

just a heads up, it doesn't matter how old you are. just because you have less years on you doesnt mean you can veto paying anyone automatically.
I have had one offer since it has been posted on here (nod)

I understand what you're doing but the way you're doing it is actually somewhat offensive. You wouldn't expect BT to provide you business internet and expect Ford to give you a car for free just because you're young and 'just starting out' would you!?! So please don't expect free work from a designer. Expecting students to be grateful that you'll let them put your logo in their portfolio is ludicrous! They'll do that anyway!

If you can't afford to start a business you shouldn't bother! Go see your banks business advisor and get a business loan if need be but please don't expect to get anything for nothing and don't expect your free designer to actually produce anything you'll be proud of in 12 months time. If it's free, it's free for a reason!

As BigDave and others have mentioned - The world doesn't owe you a living and neither should forum members.
If you have no money, find some, it's called initial investment ( friends, parents, bank, ) everyone else does.
You have to contribute to your business start up. Even if it's £50 if it has value to you, then it should be paid for.

( @ the DF member who is happy to do it for nothing - I have a busy workload in the agency and am always willing to find people who will help us get it done for nothing - must be exceptionally good though, as clients are paying good money for this. PM me your portfolio, cheers. )

Be very few, if any peeps whio will make you a free logo.Besides the time involved, its about exchange i.e. something for something. Try making one yourself there are lots of ideas to be had simply go to Google images and type logo design for **** subject, bound to be a winner

bizzkid said:
Hello,

I am a full time student and have setup as self employed and in April 2011 will be launching a small business.

I don't have much capital to start the business but obvoiusly I need a logo which will be strong and clear, as well as look professional.

I know that a logo designer will not just design me a logo for free, so was wondering if there are other students who are looking to build a portfolio for University?

I understand that when applying for a Graphic Design course at university the student has to provide a portfolio at their interview, which includes logo designs - so thought that this would be a good opportunity on both side.

Are there any student designers on here or do you know of any?

Many Thanks
:up:

Hi,
send me the details of your logo - give me as much info as possible. I cant help you in a vacum. Let me know your preferred colors, vibe, size - the business etc etc.

Dont give up and nothing wrong with asking...
cheers

Printinguk: not sure of your being sarcastic, but there is much more to logo design that googling your chosen subject and getting inspiration from someone elses work.
I really hope you are joking!!!

Bryonc: by offering your services for free, you are not only damaging the industry itself by under cutting fellow designers but more importantly, you are seriously damaging your own worth and reputation as a designer. If you truly value yourself and the quality of hour own work then you would not give your own hard work away for nothing. Reguardless of what people promise you, it won't improve your portfolio, it won't help you in the long run.
It is a serious issue that you need to give some thought to.

@Davewill - spot on
@Bryonc - I said I have loads of free work if you want it!

I despair.

It genuinely does concern me Berry that this is so commonplace in our industry. I was in the same position as Bryonc and many others just 5/6 years ago and I was often tempted to work for free so I do know how you feel.

BUT, looking back Im so glad I didnt do any kind of free work. If this is what you want to do for a living, and you think you are good, and your work has a value then how can you justify spending so much time and effort on something, then giving it away for free?

I wrote a blog post on the subject a few months back on the subject of working for free, which if anyone is interested in you can read here. As for the original message from bizzkidd, listen to all of the advice here my friend, its the only good quality thing you will get for free as you aim to start up your business.

I read the post, and may put that in my Blog if you dont mind.

When I set up Armadillo my brand crede was No Speculative Pitchwork. It still is, it's tempting to stray.

Business ( any form of ) is about establish Value and Worth in your product or service. If you don't give your self value and worth, then how or why should a client? Free work isn't good business sense. Money must exchange hands. Can't take Free work to the Bank!

Stay true to your brand and your principles from an early stage and you will develop into a strong company and business.

Yep thats fine Berry.

The agency I work for also has a strict No Speculative Pitchwork policy. It can get frustrating when you feel like you are missing out on lots of new opportunities but we go in to meetings with the opinion that we know we are good, the client knows the kind of quality we produce and so why should we give them free samples when they know exactly what we are capable of?

If they dont like that then fine, we move on.

bizzkid said:

This really made me laugh. Any student worth his/her salt will already be making logos etc for their portfolio regardless. Why do so many people expect free stuff from students?

If you want something professional, get (shock) a professional. If you want it for free, I advise you do it yourself.

At the very least offer to pay the student SOMETHING for their time and work.

Then if you still don't want to pay for a professional service, there are plenty who will give you an extremely cheap rate. It may not come with quality assurance but it will fit your budget.

You need to invest something in your business at the beginning and logo design isn't one of those things you should be trying to get for free or for next to nothing. A logo is an investment - it will go on anything from stationery to a website seen by all. You want something that looks professional and gives the best impression for your business.

If you're looking for a student to design you something so they can bump up their portfolio bear in mind that they don't have much experience and if you go for a cheap logo you've got to ask why it's so cheap. It may not be quite as unique as you think.

A good logo is worth it's cost and it bugs me when people out there offer to design logos for next to nothing because it under values the industry and those experienced hardworking designers who value their skills. ...And as I said before - a logo is an investment that may be seen by many people, tells people how professional a company is and may be used for years and years. It shouldn't be taken lightly.

There are good designers out there who will do the job at a reasonable price but be sure to check out their work and experience.

Nice thinking. Maybe you must get the proper training first. And, you thought for a good design of your logo. Why not asking the help of an expert designer.

bigdave said:
You wouldn't expect BT to provide you business internet and expect Ford to give you a car for free just because you're young and 'just starting out' would you!?! So please don't expect free work from a designer. Expecting students to be grateful that you'll let them put your logo in their portfolio is ludicrous! They'll do that anyway!

Well said. I watched a video which comically puts what you just said into a video:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvA4HXR1oUI[/YOUTUBE]

I'm a student (17 yrs old) and have been doing graphic designing for over a year now. I have never done any logos (or other graphic work) for free- in fact, I have made several hundred pounds... none of this I would have made if I started off with free work because that would become my reputation. Just like all these guys have said, spec work is a load of balls and I hate how so many people expect work done for free.

I think that as long as you are a good enough designer then you will make your way up and get paid work, but you need to be pro active, out there and expose yourself, and there are many ways to do that.

Back