Logo design in Illustrator - vectors/jpeg etc. for using logo across platforms

xrustyzx

Hi all, I'm sure this has been asked before but after getting to page 8 of 65 I got a bit bored... sorry...

I'm using Illustrator to design some logos... I understand these are vectors so can be scaled up etc. and will therefore not translate to jpegs as flat pixel led images.

However when I want to use the image in say a printed brochure (designed in InDesign) how best do i transfer the logo from illustrator into InDesign without it pixellation?

More so in fact when I want to use the logo for a platform such as a facebook profile image? Saving it as a jpeg from illustrator understandably makes it pixelated. But Facebook and Instagram etc. don't except pdf as image upload, and when i have done svg file that also pixelates. Large companies seem to have perfectly clear logos on their facebook pages but HOW? Do they design them in multiple programmes, transfer to photoshop and do something magical?

I'm not stupid but I'm not overly technical so if anyone is able to help (in plain english and with not too much jargon it would be appreciated!)

InDesign shows a pixellated preview so it can run faster. You can select overprint preview to show what it looks like. I recommend linked files to be PDFs personally.

Thanks KPrince - but what do you do when you have a logo designed in Illustrator but you want to upload the logo as a facebook profile photo or a photo to instagram?

Then you have to export it as a Jpeg or PNG. Export it at the right size for that social media icon and it should be fine.

Thanks, I've tried that but when on either platform and you click on the photo is is obviously quite pixelated and looks poor quality :-(

I've tried! haha All different sizes and settings... I assumed there was just some magical trick that everyone else knows about apart from me

Hi all, I'm sure this has been asked before but after getting to page 8 of 65 I got a bit bored... sorry...

I'm using Illustrator to design some logos... I understand these are vectors so can be scaled up etc. and will therefore not translate to jpegs as flat pixel led images.

However when I want to use the image in say a printed brochure (designed in InDesign) how best do i transfer the logo from illustrator into InDesign without it pixellation?

More so in fact when I want to use the logo for a platform such as a facebook profile image? Saving it as a jpeg from illustrator understandably makes it pixelated. But Facebook and Instagram etc. don't except pdf as image upload, and when i have done svg file that also pixelates. Large companies seem to have perfectly clear logos on their facebook pages but HOW? Do they design them in multiple programmes, transfer to photoshop and do something magical?

I'm not stupid but I'm not overly technical so if anyone is able to help (in plain english and with not too much jargon it would be appreciated!)

The vector image only appears pixelated in InDeisgn due to InDesign using a low resolution proxy image to show the image in the layout. You can go to View>Dispay Performance and choose High Quality to get a better hi-res proxy image.

For web and such - I find it's best to export it directly from Illustrator as a jpeg or png as the pixel width and height that you require.

Hi. If it's not mandatory, make your brochure in Illustrator and don't use InDesign. Just use the settings for print and it should be ok.

Hi. If it's not mandatory, make your brochure in Illustrator and don't use InDesign. Just use the settings for print and it should be ok.

Bad advice, I wouldn't tell someone to hammer in a nail with a saw.

InDesign is the correct tool for the job.

The settings for print are blanket settings, each of the settings needs to be adjusted for different printing presses, if you don't know how to do this then hire someone to do it for you.

I get your point, but making it in Adobe Illustrator it's just another option. "not great, not terrible"

No it's not an option. It can be done. But it should not be done.

Honestly, trust me, I've seen it done. I've see the chaos it can cause.
I've even seen 32 page magazines done in photoshop.

Just because it can be done does not mean it should be done.

Back