logo design for electronic retailer

astroboy1970

Hi,

I am working for a new brand called STREAMBOX.

This brand will be retailer who will sell consumer electronic products.

They will work with premium brands like Apple , Sony, Jawbone, Beats Audio.

Please think in premium products and people who pay for it (between 25 and 35 years) and tell me in your opinion what's the best font for the logo.

I didn´t use an order of preference for this fonts.

Thanks for your time.
streambox.jpg

welcome to the forum.
Honest opinion - none of those fonts scream high end electronics to me, and I'm into tech and 33... I would be expecting a 'cleaner' and more angular looking font, to me they've got a bit of a curvy/cutesy/bubbleness to them which doesn't really fit.
Oh and streambox.... I kept reading it as steambox, the name of the new under tv box from valve/steam....

Levi said:
welcome to the forum.
Honest opinion - none of those fonts scream high end electronics to me, and I'm into tech and 33... I would be expecting a 'cleaner' and more angular looking font, to me they've got a bit of a curvy/cutesy/bubbleness to them which doesn't really fit.
Oh and streambox.... I kept reading it as steambox, the name of the new under tv box from valve/steam....
Levi, I am not sure about the rule : " square fonts for technology" , even more when right now people buy more "fashion" technology. The products are very atractive like JAMBOX speakers ,Pebble Watches, or Beat Headphones.

The spirit for this brand is to sell products for a life style.

Thanks Levi!.

I never said it was a rule, its what I would be expecting.... as to tech being more about fashion....I know this, it's a sad reality that better products are outsold by a lesser product purely based on it's 'brand' and marketing... beats is a perfect example of this.
As to the brand fonts -
pebble - more angular and cleaner font
jambox - more angular and calligraphy style
I still stand by my view that none of your suggested font choices fit the demographic/criteria that you are targeting...

Levi said:
I never said it was a rule, its what I would be expecting.... as to tech being more about fashion....I know this, it's a sad reality that better products are outsold by a lesser product purely based on it's 'brand' and marketing... beats is a perfect example of this.
As to the brand fonts -
pebble - more angular and cleaner font
jambox - more angular and calligraphy style
I still stand by my view that none of your suggested font choices fit the demographic/criteria that you are targeting...
May be it's true the reality about lesser products. But Apple exists !. For my personal perception, Apple is beatiful ( inside and outside). Apple name for a Technology brand? (that's the difference). A bitten apple: object of desire. Pebble font : rounded font. (of course clean). In the case of Jawbone, I like the previous logo. Actually the font for Jawbone is very luxury like a jewelry or diamonds, may be that's the way for Jawbone :)
I don´t have any intention to start a controversy about the logo design, I respect all that you said before in the post.
May be another could have an opinion.
thanks again !.

All I can say is you better go look at the pebble website because their font is in no way rounded (excluding the need for rounding on letters like o and e) like yours....
You reference apple as 'the ideal' brand.... well they don't use rounded font's either...
Myriad, Lucida Grande, Helvetica Neue and now Avenir
I'm sure others will chirp in at some point :)

Number one works for me. The 'r' in no. 3 just looks wrong and no. 2 is just a bit ordinary.

I would have to go with number one as well, but I don't love it. I think it needs to be slightly thinner in weight and I'm not sure on a couple of the characters, namely r, a and m. I think it's the angled caps I don't like on the typeface...

Sean Lee-Amies said:
I would have to go with number one as well, but I don't love it. I think it needs to be slightly thinner in weight and I'm not sure on a couple of the characters, namely r, a and m. I think it's the angled caps I don't like on the typeface...
Hi Sean. I will have in mind your comment. Thanks.

scotty said:
No 1 for me.
You thought of making the "Stream" in a lighter version to kind of split the name?
Hi Scotty . It´s an interesting idea but before starting this job, the client told me that he doesn´t wish any split on the name. He prefers to manage the brand name like a simple word in black background without an isotype for the moment. Thanks for your idea. May be I will try other fonts.

I don't usually do this (!) but I have to agree with most of what Levi is saying. I don't think the rounded fonts are working.
Like others have said, the first one is the best out of the 3, but I would like to see a 4th option of the logo in a different font.
Heck... even Jawbone are going for it:
jawbone-logo-display.png

Looking forward to a few more versions :)

Alex Gilmore said:
I don't usually do this (!) but I have to agree with most of what Levi is saying. I don't think the rounded fonts are working.
Like others have said, the first one is the best out of the 3, but I would like to see a 4th option of the logo in a different font.
Heck... even Jawbone are going for it:
jawbone-logo-display.png

Looking forward to a few more versions :)
Thanks Alex I apreciate your opinion.

Number one works for me too. And, I'd stick with the curves. Sexy, sleek, curves.

Hey Astroboy,
Firtst of all, welcome to the forum! Since the company you are working for is selling a life-style in the form of electronics, I would agree in resisting the urge of being literal in creating a tech-like logo. I think that option number one is your best shot, because it's friendly but quirky (so it's for many but not for everyone), and it has that retro feel which is trendy at the moment. That option to me better represents the audience you are targeting. Contrarily to where the design world is going, I would always create an icon part—that is—not limiting the final outcome to a logotype. This gives you more flexibility when the logo needs to be applied on different media.
Keep up with the good work and post your next versions!

Gianluca Teti said:
Hey Astroboy,
Firtst of all, welcome to the forum! Since the company you are working for is selling a life-style in the form of electronics, I would agree in resisting the urge of being literal in creating a tech-like logo. I think that option number one is your best shot, because it's friendly but quirky (so it's for many but not for everyone), and it has that retro feel which is trendy at the moment. That option to me better represents the audience you are targeting. Contrarily to where the design world is going, I would always create an icon part—that is—not limiting the final outcome to a logotype. This gives you more flexibility when the logo needs to be applied on different media.
Keep up with the good work and post your next versions!
Hi Gianluca, special thanks for your friendly introduce!. I reflected about your opinion. I think , may be the reason to think in more square fonts or straight cuts for technology came with computers. 20 years ago the resolution was poor, and any font looked square. Obviously when people see a square font , they think in computers (or electronics). Computer and electronics are not friendly for a lot of people (I like computers! :)).

Right now we have amazing screens with HD definitions in our hands. In the future this perception could be different.
The other thought I have for brands who are selling technology: When the people buy technology, they buy the posibility to enjoy : music, movies, games and communication. The consumer electronics represents the enjoy of life. May be you have a good point when you ask for a friendly logo.

Thanks for your time Gianluca.

I really don't like the above three fonts. The font should be very attractive and should have some animated effects etc.
You take a look on some online website where you can take an idea.
Thanks,

Arianna said:
I really don;t like the avoe three fonts. If they deals then the font should be very attractive and should have some animated effects etc.
You take a loon on some online website where you can take an idea.
Thanks,
Sorry Arianna but really I don't understand what you said. Animated effects?.

Back