Logo Design fail?

Sophie Tabone

Hi guys,

I'm posting mostly out of curiosity for my own sake, our school came to us randomly in class and launched (literally) this logo on us and gave us 3 days to do it, as you know its impossible to create a logo in 3 days. I sketched some ideas and then created this in a day actually less 10 hours of staring at my laptop. Obviously it's a mock up and just a concept nothing concrete, judging from the person who was judging and deciding upon our logos he acted as if mine was a design fail.

Our school is launching an e-learning website platform and I decided to come up with this as something a bit flat and easy to read.

Can you please give me your opinions as he destroyed all my classes logos and to be honest he isn't even a trained graphic designer because he was enrolled in a Fine Arts course so I need a real designers opinion on it so I can really say: ''Okay forget this its a piece of crap and scrap it and never show it to anyone ever again.''

Brutally honest opinions appreciated :)

Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/l42rxeqr5giuyuc/Untitled-1.png?dl=0

Thanks.

It reads "e-lear ing". And the brain looks upside down.

I wouldn't take what the 'client' said to heart, some people want something for nothing and expect professional quality work from a group of students who are not yet at a professional level. Other people don't ever know what they want. Eventually you'll learn to avoid these people.

Why is it impossible to create a logo in 3 days?

Real world - logo with brand guidelines and a brochure with pull up banners and business cards for 150 employees required in 3 days.

Mate this is just one guys opinion. Never take it to heart,whether experienced or not a lot of design is relative to who you are talking to. Obviously there are the fundementals but even they can be broken with the right (or wrong) client.

For me the 'n' needs to be more prominent, and I feel the brain detracts too much from the name.

I'm afraid it isn't good at all. That's never going to be an n and the brain is quite bad. There is only one way to draw the brain, and that's way off.

I'm sure you could find a stock illustration of a brain connected to a mouse (or at least put two together), and just put it above a nice font.
It's one thing to take a winning idea, but it still needs to be developed to some extent to make it look at least half professional.

Why is it impossible to create a logo in 3 days?

Real world - logo with brand guidelines and a brochure with pull up banners and business cards for 150 employees required in 3 days.

We have other assignments to deal with, 5 to be exact, and this wasn't even a part of our assignment so it was an added extra on top of those 5 assignments so full attention couldn't be diverted to it that's why I said 10 hours in total because thats the only amount of time I could devote in literally one day. I had a ton of research and writing to do for other projects for these assignments.

I'm afraid it isn't good at all. That's never going to be an n and the brain is quite bad. There is only one way to draw the brain, and that's way off.

I'm sure you could find a stock illustration of a brain connected to a mouse (or at least put two together), and just put it above a nice font.
It's one thing to take a winning idea, but it still needs to be developed to some extent to make it look at least half professional.

I agree with you completely, it is my very first logo concept/rough idea so i'm going to put it in the first crappy logos folder so I can browse through them and laugh. I'm sure I can learn from it though and come up with better ones hopefully in the future. Perhaps I can even develop it further in another form to create something better. Thanks for the input guys really appreciated!

It reads "e-lear ing". And the brain looks upside down.

I wouldn't take what the 'client' said to heart, some people want something for nothing and expect professional quality work from a group of students who are not yet at a professional level. Other people don't ever know what they want. Eventually you'll learn to avoid these people.

We didn't even take them seriously or give a toss, they came in half assed just giving us a random paper which was the ''brief'', didn't even tell us how the website should look or what they wanted colour palette wise just as I quote it ''Something fresh and new''. They didn't even know that they wanted to called it E-learning so it was kind of pointless. We were pissed that it wasn't voluntary work, they just forced it onto us and giving us a small time period, they even said they would come for meetings to talk to us and they didn't even bother showing up... Also we weren't going to get paid and doubt we would get credit because the school would get credit for it since its for itself -.-

Back